- 3 hrs ago 4 DIY Hair Masks For Monsoon Season, To Manage Hair Fall And Dandruff
- 6 hrs ago Hadid Sisters Hit Runway For Marc Jacobs With Partially 'Shaved' Heads And Bleached Brows
- 6 hrs ago July 2022: Lucky And Unlucky Zodiac Signs This Month
- 7 hrs ago Expert Article: Pericoronitis, An Unfamiliar But Agonizing Dental Issue
- Finance BoB Capital Suggests Buy This Mid Cap Consumer Electricals Stock For 43% Potential Upside
- Movies Is it Ajith Vs Vijay For Pongal 2023? Fans Of Both The Actors Await With Bated Breath!
- Education IDBI Executive Call Letter 2022 Released For Online Examination, Download IDBI Bank Executive Admit Card
- News Anti terror agency roped in to probe murder of Maharashtra chemist
- Sports Karnataka T20 League: KSCA to conduct tournament from August 15 -- Winners List, History, Teams
- Automobiles 2022 TVS iQube - Can It Compete With The Best Now?
- Technology Xiaomi 12S Series To Get Eco-Friendly Leather Rear Panel; Expected Features, Specs
- Travel Best Day Trips From Mumbai To Take Now
The Oscar Awards 2022 nominations were announced on February 8 in a streamed broadcast hosted by actors Tracee Ellis Ross and Leslie Jordan. Although the nominees are out, there's plenty of time to speculate about who the big winners will be — the 94th annual Academy Awards take place on March 27 at the Dolby Theatre in Hollywood.
Up for best picture is Stephen Spielberg's remake of the 1961 movie "West Side Story" with a score by the recently deceased Stephen Sondheim. Spielberg is also nominated for best director for his film about two rival gangs, the Jets and the Sharks, set in a gentrifying Manhattan.
"Belfast," which tells the story of a working class family in the 1960s in the midst of political turmoil in the Northern Irish capital, is another contender for best picture. Filmmaker Kenneth Branagh was also nominated best director. The coming-of-age film is based on his childhood experiences of growing up in Belfast.
A Western Leads The Race - The Power Of The Dog
Another strong Oscar contender is a unique western — the psychological drama "The Power of the Dog" by Jane Campion. It leads the race with 12 Academy Award nominations, including best director and best picture, along with Benedict Cumberbatch playing rancher Phil Burbank up for best actor.
If the Netflix film takes home best picture, it would be the first western to do so since "No Country for Old Men" in 2007.
Sci-fi adventure film "Dune," by "Bladerunner" director Denis Villeneuve, garnered 10 nominations, including best picture. The movie is a film adaption of the first of a two-part adaptation of the 1965 novel by Frank Herbert. It's also up for best visual effects, as well as best cinematography.
Guillermo del Toro's film noir "Nightmare Alley" was nominated for four awards, best picture included. The Mexican director best known for "Pan's Labyrinth" also took home Oscars in 2018 for best picture and best director for his Cold War romantic fantasy "The Shape of Water."
Although it didn't make the cut for best picture, Joel Coen's "The Tragedy of Macbeth," a remake of Shakespeare's drama in black and white with surrealistic elements reminiscent of Alfred Hitchcock movies, is still up for awards, including best cinematography and best production design. Denzel Washington, who plays the title character as he slips into madness, was nominated best actor. Meanwhile, Frances McDormand who plays Lady MacBeth, was left out of the running, meaning she won't have a chance to sweep the Oscars, as she did last year as a producer and leading actress of the film "Nomadland."
Comedies In The Running
Netflix's dark comedy "Don't Look Up," starring Leonardo DiCaprio, Jennifer Lawrence and Meryl Streep, could very well be the best movie of the year.
Another comedy, coming-of-age story "Licorice Pizza" by director Paul Thomas Anderson, is up for both best picture and best director.
Comedy-drama "CODA," about a teenager of deaf adults by director Sian Heder, is also in the running for best picture, as well as best adapted screenplay.
Another nominee for the top film is "King Richard," a story based on the father of tennis superstars Venus and Serena Williams. The movie was produced by Will Smith, who is also the lead character and was nominated in the best actor category. Actress Aunjanue Ellis who plays the girls' mother is a contender for the best supporting actress award.
Nostalgia And Foreign Films
Fans of Lucille Ball and the US sitcom "I Love Lucy" will appreciate the nominations garnered for the movie "Being the Ricardos," based on the lives of on and off-screen couple Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz. Actor Javier Bardem and actress Nicole Kidman are up for best actor and actress, respectively.
The nominees for best international film are especially diverse this year. They include Japanese film "Drive my Car" by Ryusuke Hamaguchi, who is also nominated for best director. The Japanese film is the only foreign work to be in the running for best picture, as well.
Italian director Paolo Sorrentino's latest film, "Hand of God," which is based on his childhood in Naples and is also out on Netflix, is another best foreign film nominee, along with Danish film "Flee," Bhutan's "Lunana: A Yak in the Classroom" and Norway's "The Worst Person in the World."
Germany's shortlisted entry, Maria Schrader's "I'm Your Man," was not among the final nominees.
This year, the ceremony in Hollywood will be in-person, as opposed to the slimmed-down pandemic-safe 2021 event. The Academy also announced that the show would be having a host for the first time since 2018, without however revealing who that might be.
- art cultureWill Smith Gets 10-Year Oscars Ban For Slapping Chris Rock At Oscar Awards 2022
- fashion trendsOscar Awards 2022 Red Carpet: 16 Best Dressed Celebs At The 94th Academy Awards
- art cultureOscars 2022 Winners: CODA, Dune, Will Smith, Jessica Chastain, Hans Zimmer Win Top Honours
- womenOscars: Women Directors Write History With Every Win At The Academy Awards
- art cultureOscar Awards: African Cinema, Bollywood Films Remain Unrepresented - Here's A Look At The Reasons
- art cultureBirthday Special: Hollywood Actress Glenn Close's Journey And Why She Deserves An Oscar Award
- art cultureOscars 2022 Shortlist: Oscar-Winner Hans Zimmer, Maria Schrader, Asghar Farhadi, Billie Eilish, Beyonce
- bollywood wardrobeSherni Promotions: Vidya Balan Takes Floral Turn With Her Vibrant Saree; Take A Look At Her Earrings, Too!
- fashion trendsOscars 2021: Emerald Fennell, Chloé Zhao, And Youn Yuh - Jung Make History And Stun Us With Their Outfits
- fashion trendsOscars 2021: Maria Bakalova ‘Tutar’ Looks Straight Out Of A Fairytale In Her White Gown
- fashion trendsOscars 2021: Riz Ahmed And Wife Fatima Farheen Mirza Make For A Stunning And Stylish Couple
- fashion trendsOscars 2021: Zendaya’s Yellow Chiffon Dress Is What We Wish We Had In Our Closet