- 8 hrs ago What Are Phytonutrients? What Are Their Benefits To Human Health?
- 11 hrs ago Mars Transit in Pisces On 17 May 2022: Impact On Zodiac Signs And Remedies
- 13 hrs ago Cannes Film Festival's First Female President: Iris Knobloch
- 15 hrs ago World Hypertension Day: Hypertension, Holistic Healthcare Through Ayurveda And Yoga (Expert Article)
- News Explained: Gyanvapi Mosque row and the relevance of the Places of Worship Act
- Sports MI vs SRH IPL 2022: Full List of Award Winners, Man of The Match, Post Match Presentation, Scorecard, Records
- Movies Nakuul Mehta Says He Hasn't Switched On TV For The Last 2 Years After His Son Was Born For THIS Reason
- Finance This Is How RBI’s DigiSaathi Will Help You
- Education World AIDS Vaccine Day 2022: History, Significance And Quotes About HIV Vaccine Awareness Day
- Travel Best Museums In Bangalore
- Automobiles Keeway K-Light 250V, Viesta 300 & Sixties 300i Revealed Ahead Of Launch
- Technology OnePlus Ace Racing Edition Spotted On India’s Official Website; Launch Expected Soon
The usual glitz and glamour was absent during the Golden Globes on Sunday, with celebrities staying away and longtime broadcaster NBC not covering the event after complaints about a lack of diversity and the ethics policies of the Hollywood Foreign Press Association (HFPA), which chooses the winners.
New Zealand director Jane Campion became the second woman to helm a film that won the best drama film prize with her dark western "The Power of the Dog," following Chloe Zhao's win last year with "Nomadland." Campion also scooped the best director award.
Will Smith won the best actor in film drama prize for his role in "King Richard," a biopic about the father and coach of Venus and Serena Williams, while Nicole Kidman took the best actress award for her portrayal of Hollywood icon Lucille Ball in "Being the Ricardos."
Steven Spielberg's "West Side Story" remake was honored for best comedy or musical, and took home lead and supporting actress prizes for young stars Rachel Zegler and Ariana DeBose.
Korean O Yeung-su won best supporting actor at the 79th awards for his role in the hit Netflix series, "Squid Game."
"Pose" star Michaela Jae Rodriguez also became the first transgender woman to win a Golden Globe, taking the prize for best actress in a TV drama. She quickly took to social media to celebrate her triumph.
"This is the door that is going to Open the door for many more young talented individuals," she wrote on Instagram. "They will see that a young Black Latina girl from Newark New Jersey who had a dream, to change the minds others would WITH LOVE. LOVE WINS. To my young LGBTQAI babies WE ARE HERE…"
Among the other television awards, corporate family saga "Succession" took home the best drama award; and "Hacks," about a fading female comedian, was awarded best comedy.
Netflix led all studios with four film awards.
A real commitment to diversity?
Michaela Jae Rodriguez, and 20-year-old "West Side Story" lead Rachel Zegler, were some of the few star performers to acknowledge the receipt of Golden Globes that were announced via social media and a live blog.
i got cast as maría in west side story on 1/9/19.— rachel zegler (she/her/hers) (@rachelzegler) January 10, 2022
and i just won a golden globe for that same performance, on 1/9/22.
life is very strange.
Controversy continues to rage around the film and TV showcase that began in 1943, after a February 2021 article published by the Los Angeles Times blasted the HFPA, the press organization behind the event, for not having a single Black member on the 87-person body that hands out the awards.
Tom Cruise has since handed back his three awards, while broadcaster NBC has again canceled its commitment to broadcast the gala. Netflix also ended its association with the event. In May, the HFPA voted for sweeping reforms pledging more diversity and transparency, including adding six Black members to the group of over 100 journalists who decide the second-most important film awards ceremony after the Academy Awards.
"This has been a year of change and reflection," said Helene Hoehne, HFPA president, during the presentation of the nominations in LA last month.
During the behind-closed-doors ceremony on Sunday, the HFPA tweeted videos from Arnold Schwarzenegger and Jamie Lee Curtis praising the group's community work.
"I'm proud to be associated with them in this venture," said Curtis, referring to funding by the HFPA for community programs.
No longer a party, but still a good Oscars guide
With three wins apiece, "The Power of the Dog" and "West Side Story" confirmed that they will be hard to beat during the upcoming Oscars ceremony in March.
Set in 1920s Montana, Jane Campion's anti-western "The Power of the Dog," starring Benedict Cumberbatch, was released by Netflix with a limited theatrical run. It has been widely praised by critics and already took home the Silver Lion for best film in Venice.
Spielberg's "West Side Story" was also adored by critics, even if it flopped at the box office.
And Kenneth Branagh's "Belfast," a coming-of-age film set amid sectarian violence in 1960s Northern Ireland, won only for best screenplay, but picked up seven Globe nominations and is still considered a strong award season contender.
sb/eg (Reuters, AFP)
- art cultureOmicron: Have The 2022 Golden Globes, Grammy Awards, Oscars, Berlinale, Cannes Been Postponed?
- art cultureGolden Globe Nominations 2022: Nicole Kidman, Olivia Colman, Lady Gaga And Benedict Cumberbatch Among Nominees
- fashion trendsThe Queen’s Gambit Actress Anya Taylor-Joy Is A Vision In Her Stunning Gowns At The Golden Globes
- make up tipsGolden Globes 2021: Elle Fanning Steals The Show With Her Stunning Makeup Look And Neat Twisted Bun
- fashion trendsGolden Globes 2021: Did Emma Corrin Find A Connect Between Pierrot Clown And Lady Diana With Her Gown?
- fashion trendsGolden Globes 2020: From Priyanka-Nick to Ellen And Portia, Couples Who Gave Us Major Fashion Goals!
- women fashionGlobes Globes 2020: Best Beauty Looks From The Dazzling Award Show
- women fashionGolden Globes 2020: Jennifer Lopez Owns The Red Carpet In A Braided Bun
- art cultureMultiple Grammy And Oscar Award-Winning Composer John Williams Turns 90
- bollywood wardrobeActress Blanca Blanco Marched The Golden Globes Red Carpet Without Knickers
- bollywood wardrobeMajor Wardrobe Malfunctions At The Golden Globe Awards
- womenCannes Film Festival's First Female President: Iris Knobloch