The Vigneshwara Temple or Vighnahar Ganapati Temple of Ozar (also spelled as Ozhar) is one of the Ashtavinayak temples of Lord Ganesha. Ashtavinayak are the eight revered shrines of Lord Ganesha and are situated in different parts of Maharashtra.
Ganesha is the elephant-headed Hindu God of wisdom. Vigneshwara
(Lord of obstacles) or Vighnahar (remover of obstacles) temple has
a historical significance. Thousands of pilgrims come to take
blessings at this temple. Lets check out the significance of
Vigneshwara temple in Hinduism.
The place is named Vigneshwara because Lord Ganesha defeating Vignasura (the demon of obstacles).
Significance of Vigneshwara Temple:
Vigneshwara Ozar is considered as the seventh of the eight Ashtavinayak temples. It is believed that King Abhinandana performed a sacrifice in which he did not give any offering to the god-king , Indra. The angry Indra ordered Kala (Time/Death) to destroy the sacrifice. Kala took the form of Vignasura, the demon of obstacles. The demon created obstacles in the sacrifice and ultimately ruined it. Thus, the sages asked Lord Brahma or Lord Shiva to help them. The Gods advised them to chant the name of Lord Ganesha. Hearing the prayer of the sages, Lord Ganesha came and vanquished the demon Vignasura. Since then, Lord Ganesha has been considered as the Vighnaharta (remover of obstacles).
Major Ganesha festivals like Ganesh Chaturthi, Ganesha Jayanti and Kartik Poornima is celebrated in this shrine.
- Among the Ashtavinayak Kshetra, Vigneshwara Ozar temple is the only temple with a golden dome and a pinnacle.
- The temple is located at the banks of Kukdeshwar river .
- The Ganesha's idol is decorated with precious colourful stones and diamonds. His consorts, Riddhi-Siddhi are placed on the sides of the elephant-headed Hindu God.
- A stone pillar named Deep Malas is located inside the temple. There are also statues of Panchayatan on the four sides of the temple.
- The temple was established in 1785 and was rebuilt in 1967 by Shri Appashastri Joshi (a devotee of Lord Ganesha).
- You can see ancient sculptures, mural work, a courtyard and a meditation room in the Vigneshwara Ozar temple.
Pilgrims visit all throughout the year to pay homage to the deity who is facing towards the East.
The Vigneshwara Ozar temple is located in Ozar which is 10 kms from Junnar.
Air: The nearest airport to this pilgirmage is Pune. This airport is connected to all the domestic airports in India. You can take a bus, car or cab from here to Ozar.
Bus: Ozar is 87 kms away from Pune bus stand. There are many buses that travel on a regular basis to the Vigneshwara Ozar temple. You can also take your private car.
Train: You can take any local train or express from Pune to reach Ozar. It is 73 kms away and you can book tickets online or though an agent.
As Ganesh Chaturthi is approaching near, you can visit this pilgrimage centre and pay your homage to Lord Ganesha, the Lord of wisdom. In this special festival, you will see all the Ashtavinayak temples well decorated with lights, flowers and loud prayers. It is great to awaken your spiritual side on such occasions.