The Gods bless us with all the riches in the world. But we are not talking about their heavenly abodes. It is their earthy adobes that are teaming with wealth these days. Yes, we are tracking the richest temples of India. The richest temples in this God fearing country, India can actually put some of the haughtiest billionaires to shame.
You will be shocked to learn the amount of wealth that accumulates in the coffeirs of the richest temples mentioned here.
The Richest Temples In India:
1. Sree Padmanabha Swamy: This temple has recently overtaken the famous Tirupati Balaji temple that held the title of the richest temple till now. The Sree Padmanabha Swamy temple is one of the main attractions in the city of Thiruvananthapuram in Kerala. In 2011, a hidden treasure worth 1,00,000 crore was discovered in underground crypts. This treasure included a sack full of real diamonds! Apart from this hidden wealth, the total worth of antiques used to decorate the Sree Padmanabha Swamy temple in itself must be astronomical.
2. Tirupati Temple: Before the Sree Padmanabha Swamy temple made headlines, the 'wish fulfilling' Balaji temple in Tirumala was considered to be the richest temple in this country. There is a mythical story that Lord Balaji who resides in the Tirupati temple incurred a huge loan from the treasurer of the Gods, Kuber to sponsor his wedding. Apparently he is still paying the debt and thus, donations from devotees in cash or kind are welcome. It also helps to have famous patrons like Amitabh Bachchan and Anil Ambani.
3. Shirdi Sai Baba Temple: It is ironic that a temple devoted to the biggest advocate of poverty is the third most richest temple in India. Sai Baba was a 'fakir' or an asetic who undertook begging as a mode of livelihood. But his idol is now adorned with jewellery worth 32 crores. As it is not known which religious faith Sai Baba belonged, people from all religions flock to this temple.
4. Siddhivinayak Temple: Mumbai is full of Bollywood stars but the king of them all is Ganesha himself. This Ganesh (Vinayak) temple looks and feels like a important government building from outside. There are severe security checks in place that makes it look like a military posting. The exact earning of this temple are undeclared but from the hoard of known names like Sachin Tendulkar, Amitabh Bachchan, Madhuri Dixit etc. on its devotee list, we can surely know why it is one of the richest temples in India.
5. Golden Temple: When the name itself reflects wealth, what could be in store? Amritsar in Punjab is famous for the Golden temple which was actually called Harmindher Sahib Gurudwara. The term 'golden' was added when the Gurudwara was adorned with intricate works of gold and silver. The gold work came along with the solid gold canopy sheltering the Adi Granth in the sanctum sanctorium.
These are only 5 temples that top the list of richest temples in India. If you dig deeper, you can come with many more.