The word 'adhik' itself means an extra. The lunar calender adds
one month extra after every 3 years. Hindu calender is based on the
lunar movement. But we generally follow the Gregorian calender
which is based on the movement of the sun. The lunar calender has
354 days whereas the Gregorian has 365 days. There is a religious
significance of each month. Let us explore the religious
significances of this Adhik Maas.
- Adhik Maas was assigned the name Mal Maas by the sages. The word 'mal' means dirty or inauspicious. As this month was considered to be dirty or inauspicious, no religious ceremonies took place during this month. Mal Maas went to Lord Vishnu with his sadness. Lord Vishnu had pity on him and assigned to himself this month. He also said that who ever would worship him during Adhik Maas would be especially blessed.
- Purshottam means a man who is imbibed with all best qualities. Vishnu's avatar Rama is also known as Purshottam. Hence this month is called the Purshottam Maas.
- Every month has a ruling deity. Lord Vishnu is the ruling deity of the Purshottam month.
Things To Do
- Adhik Maas is considered to be very important and auspicious for a lot of religious activities. So, if you want to do charity, donation, prayers and any other religious activities, this month is ideal for you.
- It is also the ideal moth for marriage, mundan or griha pravesh.
- There are certain things that are considered good to be donated during this month. You can make malpua with either, wheat or rice flour and then donate it to the poor or some one else.
- It is also considered to be very auspicious to worship Lakshmi- Narayana in this month after you take a shower. You shall gain immense luck and money by their sincere worship.
- People also keep a fast during this month. It is also very good to keep to a vegetarian meal in Adhik Maas.
- You need to sleep on the floor and get up early in the morning to worship Purshottam in the Adhik Maas.
- There are also some special Hindu hymns that are to be chanted in this month. All your sins will be washed away if you follow these with utmost zeal and religious fervour.
- Thus we find that Purshottam month is one of the most auspicious month in the Hindu calendar.
Follow all the above to please Lord Vishnu and attain his blessing to attain the best in life and get all your desires fulfilled.