When a woman reaches puberty, she goes through several physical and mental changes. When you hit puberty, you become a menarche. Menarche is the first time when you start bleeding. From the very first periods, you have to keep a track of your menstrual cycle. The cycle is not regular for the first few months. So, getting irregular periods is quiet obvious. But, by keeping a track of your menstrual cycle, you can trace your next date beforehand.
How does menstrual cycle work?
You have to calculate menstrual cycle according to the last time you had periods. An average cycle lasts for 23-29 days (from the first day of your periods till the next). Some women have a cycle of 22 days or 36 days. Menstrual cycle changes according to the hormonal levels in the body. To have a clear count of your next periods, you have to calculate your menstruating days.
How to calculate menstrual cycle?
- Start counting from the day one of the cycle. This is the first day when you start bleeding. To remember the date, mark on the calender or write down somewhere.
- On the next cycle day one, mark the date again. In short, mark the date of your next period on the calender.
- Count the number of days between your last cycle day one and the present period date.
- The number of days between your last and this period is the number of days that form your menstrual cycle. For example, if your last period was on June 1st and next month you get on July 28th, the length of your menstrual cycle is 27 days.
- Keep tracking the days for first six months continuously. Observe the length of your menstrual cycle every month. If there is no difference in the number of days, your cycle is regular. A slight change of 2-6 days is also fine. But, a completely different date each month means your hormonal changes are not proper.
- In the beginning, having irregular periods is normal. The reproductive system becomes stable with time. If the menstrual cycle is irregular for more than one year, consult a doctor.
- A white thick discharge during the menstrual cycle is normal. While some women secrete heavily, some tend to have less discharge. There is nothing to worry as it depends on the hormonal changes in the body.
This is how you can calculate the length of your menstrual cycle and thus know when your next period is coming.