Shahi Tukra is a very royal sounding name. 'Shahi' literally translates to 'royal' and 'tukra' means 'pieces'. However, the bread pudding recipe that is used in preparing Shahi Tukra is quite simple. This bread pudding recipe is meant for special occasions like family gatherings and festivals. So, you won't get a better chance to try this dessert recipe than the holy month of Ramzan.
Shahi Tukra makes a perfect Ramzan recipe because it is easy to make and simply delicious. A Ramzan recipe should be filling and rich in energy to get you through your period of fasting. This bread pudding recipe is perfect in that respect. The ghee (clarified butter), and dry fruits in Shahi Tukra gives you enough energy to get through your Rozas without losing out on strength.
Preparation Time: 30 minutes
- White bread- 8 slices
- Milk- 1 litre
- Sugar- 1 cup
- Ghee- 3tbsp
- Cinnamon powder- 1tsp
- Cardamom powder- 1tsp
- Raisins (kishmish)- 10
- Cashew (kaju)- 8
- Pistachios- 7-8
- Almonds- 5 (soaked and chopped)
1. Heat milk on a medium flame. Let it bubble for 5 minutes and then add the sugar to it. Stir it continuously.
2. After the sugar dissolves completely in the milk, add 2tbsp of ghee to it. The ghee is to coagulate the milk.
3. Add cinnamon powder and cardamom powder to it. Keep stirring continuously so that the milk does not form lumps at the bottom of the pan.
4. Keep boiling the milk till it reduces to half the volume you started with. It should take around 20 minutes to do so.
5. The milk should have developed a thick custard-like consistency by now. Take it off the flame and add the dry fruits to it.
6. Allow it to cool at room temperature. And refrigerate it once done.
7. Meanwhile chop off the sides of the bread slices. Cut them into triangular pieces by slitting diagonally.
8. Fry the bread in the leftover ghee till brown. Let the bread lose steam and cool at room temperature.
9. Pour the chilled milk you prepared over the fried bread.
Serve Shahi Tukra as a royal dessert to celebrate Ramzan this year. It looks best when served in silver bowls.