This mutton curry recipe is essentially prepared with spinach which is a kind of saag (green leafy vegetable). Baisakhi is just an excuse to prepare it but, you can try it even for regular dinner.
Ingredients For Mutton Saag Wala:
Mutton 500 grams (cut into medium sized pieces)
Spinach 500 grams
Onions 2 (chopped)
Garlic 5 cloves (minced)
Tomatoes 1 (chopped)
Green chillies 3
Fresh cream 1tbsp
Dried fenugreek (methi) leaves 1tbsp
Asafetida (hing) 1 pinch
Red chilli powder 1tsp
Garam masala 1tsp
Bay leaf 1
Salt as per taste
Procedure For Mutton Saag Wala:
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker. Season it with asafetida and bay leaf.
- Add onions to it and saute till brown. Add garlic and mutton pieces to it.
- Let the mutton fry on low flame for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, boil spinach in a bowl of boiling water for 2-3 minutes. Make sure you do not overcook it.
- Strain the boiled spinach from the water and grind it with green chillies to make a paste.
- Add tomatoes to the pressure cooker. Sprinkle salt so that they melt quickly. Cook for 3-4 minutes.
- When the tomatoes start oozing juices, pour the spinach paste into the cooker.
- Spice it up with red chilli powder and dried fenugreek leaves. Keep stirring for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add 2 cups of water and close the lid. Cook for 3-4 whistles.
- After removing it from flame, garnish with garam masala, ghee and fresh cream.
Mutton Saag wala is a green colour Indian side dish. This saag is best enjoyed with roties (Indian flat breads). It is ideal for your Baisakhi (Punjabi new year) feast.