A dark green curry with pieces of meat sounds like Mutton Saag Wala. As Baisakhi is almost here, this typical Punjabi mutton curry recipe must be at the top of your list. If your memory has failed you, then here is a pleasant reminder that you simply must have Mutton Saag Wala with makki ki roti (cornflour flat breads). This Indian side dish tastes delicious with hot tandoori rotis.
This mutton curry recipe is essentially prepared with spinach which is a kind of saag (green leafy vegetable). Baisakhi is just an excuse to prepare it but, you can try it even for regular dinner.
Ingredients For Mutton Saag Wala:
Mutton 500 grams (cut into medium sized pieces)
Spinach 500 grams
Onions 2 (chopped)
Garlic 5 cloves (minced)
Tomatoes 1 (chopped)
Green chillies 3
Fresh cream 1tbsp
Dried fenugreek (methi) leaves 1tbsp
Asafetida (hing) 1 pinch
Red chilli powder 1tsp
Garam masala 1tsp
Bay leaf 1
Salt as per taste
Procedure For Mutton Saag Wala:
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker. Season it with asafetida and bay leaf.
- Add onions to it and saute till brown. Add garlic and mutton pieces to it.
- Let the mutton fry on low flame for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, boil spinach in a bowl of boiling water for 2-3 minutes. Make sure you do not overcook it.
- Strain the boiled spinach from the water and grind it with green chillies to make a paste.
- Add tomatoes to the pressure cooker. Sprinkle salt so that they melt quickly. Cook for 3-4 minutes.
- When the tomatoes start oozing juices, pour the spinach paste into the cooker.
- Spice it up with red chilli powder and dried fenugreek leaves. Keep stirring for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add 2 cups of water and close the lid. Cook for 3-4 whistles.
- After removing it from flame, garnish with garam masala, ghee and fresh cream.
Mutton Saag wala is a green colour Indian side dish. This saag is best enjoyed with roties (Indian flat breads). It is ideal for your Baisakhi (Punjabi new year) feast.