- 2 hrs ago Weekly Horoscope: 16 May To 22 May
- 4 hrs ago Daily Horoscope: 16 May 2021
- 15 hrs ago Akshaya Patra Starts COVID-19 Relief Feeding Centre In Bengaluru, Home Minister of Karnataka Launches the Prog
- 18 hrs ago Eid ul-Fitr: Sania Mirza Flaunts A Dark Green Suit, Gives Us A Twinning Moment With Her Son; Pictures Inside!
- Automobiles Datsun Cars Offers & Discount For May 2021: Up To Rs 40,000 Benefits Across Models
- News Petrol, diesel prices hiked for ninth time this month: Check rates in your city
- Movies Bhumi Pednekar On Her Mother Testing Positive For COVID-19: Had A Hellish Time, She Was Extremely Serious
- Technology Week 20, 2021 Launch Roundup: Infinix Hot 10S, ASUS Zenfone 8, Redmi Note 10S, Infinix Note 10 Pro, And More
- Finance Why Mutual Funds Are Showing 1-Year Returns of 70-80%?
- Sports Vanessa Bryant salutes Kobe at Basketball Hall of Fame induction - 'You're a true champ'
- Education IIIT-Delhi Announces Season 5 Of The Summer Camp For Government School Students
- Travel Best Places To Visit In Gujarat In May
Kaanin kilakkaam thalai
Be courteous and even obsequious before your enemy,
When the time comes, he will bow before you.
V V S Iyer interprets this quite elaborately when he says:
“Bend down before thy adversary when they are more powerful than thyself; they can be easily over-thrown when thou attackest them, at the moment when their power is on the decline."
All this borders just a bit on Machiavellian tactics, quite different from the many ethical guidelines laid down by Thiruvalluvar in Arathupal. But it must be remembered that this occurs in Porutpal, and the context is one of advice to a ruler, on the selection of the right time for aggressive operations against the enemy.
At the same time, it must be remembered that even where Valluvar generally follows ideas of counsel to the king, on lines similar to those couched in Arthasashtra, he follows the old robust Tamil culture and attempts to give it an ethical slant where appropriate.