- 25 min ago Weekly Horoscope, 27 November To 03 December 2022, Check This Week Horoscope Prediction For All Zodiac Signs
- 2 hrs ago Daily Horoscope, 27 November 2022: Today's Horoscope Predictions For All Zodiac Signs
- 12 hrs ago Sapta Moksha Puri: The 7 Holy Cities To Visit For Final Liberation
- 14 hrs ago You Might Live Longer If You Have A Sense Of Purpose, Study
- Sports India vs New Zealand, 2nd ODI: Toss Update: Williamson elects to field; Hooda, Chahar replace Samson & Thakur
- Technology India Vs New Zealand ODI Series: How To Watch It For Free Using VPN
- Finance GAIL India Among 3 Gas Distribution Stocks Trading Near 52-Week Low, Should You Buy?
- News ‘800 officers found nothing’, Sisodia slams Centre as CBI, ED gives clean chit in Delhi excise case
- Movies Bigg Boss Tamil 6: Kamal Haasan Slams Contestants For Playing ‘Safe Game’
- Automobiles Force Urbania Bookings Open – Limited Dealers Authorised To Accept Bookings
- Travel Roraima Tepui Trek - Wild, Offbeat and Trail-worthy
- Education BPSC 67th Mains Exam 2022: Exam Schedule Announced At bpsc.bih.nic.in, Check Application Fee & Schedule Here
Makar Sankranti is one of the widely celebrated Hindu festivals in India. The festival marks the beginning of harvest season and the end of the chilly winter seasons. Every year the festival is observed on the Sankranti in the month of Pausha. Every year the date falls on 14 January.
The festival is usually observed by offering new harvests including rice, sesame seeds, lentils and turmeric to Lord Surya (Sun). People fly kites on this day and thank Lord Surya for helping in generating a good harvest in their farmlands. Out of all the rituals of this festival preparing Khichdi and offering the same to Lord Surya is quite important. For those, who don't know, khichdi is an Indian meal prepared using rice, lentils, veggies, turmeric and salt. This is done to seek His blessings and thank Him for helping in agriculture. People not only offer the khichdi to Lord Surya but also eat the same.
Still, there is some cultural significance of eating Khichdi on Makar Sankranti. Today we are here to tell you about the same. Scroll down the article to read more.
1. The reason for preparing Khichdi on Makar Sankranti is that on this day Lord Surya transits into Capricorn whose ruling God is Saturn (Lord Shani).
2. Lord Shani is fond of Khichdi and He blesses those who eat the same while sitting under the sun.
3. It is said that one should prepare Khichdi from rice, lentils and turmeric freshly harvested from one's farmland.
4. It is believed that offering Khichdi to Lord Surya on this day will not only bless you with good health and fortune but will also bring prosperity into your lives.
5. It is also said that eating khichdi after adding a little number of sesame seeds to it can help in diminishing one's bad luck and hardships.
6. Apart from religious and cultural importance, Khichdi is a healthy meal that one can have as it aids in digestion and gives essential nutrition to one's body.
7. Even if you are ill and are not willing to eat anything, having khichdi can help you in getting the nutrition along with soft and easy-to-chew food.
- yoga spiritualityMakar Sankranti 2022: Trigrahi Yoga In Capricorn, Difficulties May Increase For These Zodiac Signs
- festivalsMakar Sankranti 2022: Know the Impact of Sun-Saturn Conjunction After 29 Years
- festivalsMakar Sankranti 2022: Donate These Things According To Your Zodiac Sign
- recipesPongal Recipe: How To Make Pongal At Home
- recipesMakar Sankranti 2021: Recipe For Making Murmura Ladoo
- recipesMakar Sankranti: Recipe For Til Ke Ladoo
- recipesMakar Sankranti: How To Prepare Dal Khichdi On This Festival
- festivalsMakar Sankranti 2022: Things To Do And Avoid On This Day
- festivalsMakar Sankranti 2020: Date, Muhurta, Rituals And Significance
- lifePongal Messages, Wishes And Quotes To Share On WhatsApp, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram
- festivalsMakar Sankranti 2020: 11 Facts About The Kite Flying Festival
- bollywood wardrobeMakar Sankranti 2020: Madhuri Dixit Nene And Other Divas Have Yellow Sari Goals