- 38 min ago Daily Horoscope, 20 August 2022: Today's Horoscope Predictions For All Zodiac Signs
- 11 hrs ago Decoding Taapsee Pannu’s Contemporary Fashion Game
- 11 hrs ago Amazon Sale 2022: Exciting Offers And Discounts On Kids Items From Premium Brands
- 12 hrs ago Eye Implants Made From Pigskin Proteins Restored Sight In 14 Blind People: Things To Know
- Finance Stock To Buy: This Agro Chemicals Stock Has Good Upside Potential
- Technology OnePlus Offering Up To 25% Off On New 5G Smartphones: OnePlus 10R 5G, OnePlus 10 Pro, And More
- Movies Bigg Boss Telugu 6 Start Date Is Out: Nagarjuna's Show To Premiere On Disney+ Hotstar
- News Impossible: Dolo 650 manufacturer on Rs 1000 crore marketing budget
- Sports Durand Cup 2022: FC Goa register first win; Blasters held
- Automobiles Mahindra Scorpio Classic Launched At Rs 11.99 Lakh - New Name, New Pricetag
- Education Pranav Gupta Jamboree Education Founder says - India's New Education Policy is Transformational
- Travel Bryce Canyon: Abode To A Series Of Natural Rock Amphitheatres
According to the Hindu scriptures, Ganga crossed over from the celestial heavens to the earthly soil after the penance by King Bhagirath. Hence, this day is celebrated as Ganga Dussehra. This festival is celebrated mainly in the parts of North India. The water of this river has always been considered holy and is said to purify one's soul. There is also a belief that one can get rid of all their sins if one takes a holy dip in the River Ganges.
Ganga Dussehra 2022: Date, Time
Ganga Dussehra,is celebrated in the Jyeshta month, Shukla paksha on Dashami, and this year, it falls on Thursday, 09 June 2022. .
|Dashami Tithi commences||06:45 PM On 08 June 2022|
|Dashami Tithi ends||04:21 PM On 09 June 2022|
|Hasta Nakshatra commences||08:29 PM On 09 June 2022|
|Hasta Nakshatra Ends||08:29 PM On 09 June 2022|
|Vyatipata Yoga commences||05:03 AM On 08 June 2022|
|Vyatipata Yoga Ends||02:47 AM On 09 June 2022|
Ganga Dushera 2022: What Is Gangavataran?
The epic leap of the celestial Ganges from the heavens to the earth down below was a hair-raising event, that came down to us in anecdotal form through generations and centuries. Ganga Dussehra is also known as Ggangavataran and it is a blessed event wherein Ma Ganga flooded Earth with torrents of her sacred nectar once upon a time on a Wednesday under the hasta asterism, as per a religious belief.
Human beings are known to commit ten types of sins, which, can be cleansed and wiped off by a holy dip in the Ganges, performing charitable activities, and doing tarpan to ancestors on this auspicious day. This is the reason, why it is called Ganga Dussehra.
Ganga Dushera 2022: Legend Associated With This Day
There lived a mighty king by the name of Sagar who ruled Ayodhya. He had a son called Anshuman from his first wife, and from the second wife, he had 60000 sons. One day, the thought of doing Ashvamedha Yaga came to him. Instantly he performed it and then unleashed the Yaga horse as a part of the ritual. As the horse was roaming about, the king of the devas, the Indra, took possession of the horse, carried it to Kapila Muni's ashram, and tied it to a post there with the intention of sabotaging the benefit that King Sagar will accrue as a result of the Yaga.
King Sagar, having heard about this, sent his 60,000 sons to fetch the horse back. All the uproar and commotion that these princes caused in the ashram interrupted the peace of Kapil Muni, a sage, to such an extent that three princes were burnt alive due to his powers. Anshuman was deeply saddened by the situation and decided to approach Garuda (a mythological figure who is a mix of a eagle and human) for a solution.
Garuda was of the firm opinion that the souls of his 60,000 brothers attain peace and liberation only if their mortal remains were moistened with Ganga Jal from the heavens. Anshuman took to deep meditation to achieve his purpose, but he failed.
Similarly, the Tapasya of his son Dileep to bring Ganga down to earth met with failure. Finally, Dileep's son Bhagirath visited Gokarna tirtha to do the required penance to bring Ganga Jal (water). This time, his prayers were answered by Lord Brahma who was pleased with Bhagirath. The question that remained was to find someone who can handle the plunging torrents of Ganga.
As per the instruction of Brahma, Lord Shankar agreed to help Bhagirath after bhagirath penanced hard again, this time, to please Lord Shiva who agreed to control and handle the deluge of the Ganges by his matted locks. Through the Himalayas Ganges made her way down to the earth. Due to this Bhagirath's involvement, Ganga came to be known as Bhagirathi.
Ganga Dushera 2022: History And Significance
It is a staunch Hindu belief that a holy dip in the Ganges in the early hours of the Ganga Dussehra and an aarti performed thereafter, will cleanse the sins of the devotees. Helping the poor financially and doing charity in other ways, will alleviate their pain and suffering and it has a very beneficial impact on the life of the giver. It is a widespread belief that the Ganges is pure, germless, and noncontaminated and hence has a therapeutic effect on the worshipper.
Even psychological afflictions can be cured by bathing in Ganga. By immersing our heads in the holy waters of the Ganges, we can cleanse our body, mind, and heart. Tarpan, bath, and meditation is done on this day allowing us to experience her divinity in ways more than one. Even the aquatic creatures floating in the river Ganges are sure to achieve liberation. Bathing in the Ganges is especially significant as it washes away the ancestral curses, and sins of the past several lifetimes. It is so pure that it does not show any signs of rotting even if stored for a year.
Disclaimer: The information is based on assumptions and information available on the internet and the accuracy or reliability is not guaranteed. Boldsky does not confirm any inputs or information related to the article and our only purpose is to deliver information. Kindly consult the concerned expert before practising or implementing any information and assumption
Image Source: Wikimedia Commons
- horoscopeDaily Horoscope, 20 August 2022: Today's Horoscope Predictions For All Zodiac Signs
- festivalsSantan Saptami 2022: Date, Time, Fasting, Worship, Vrat Katha, Legend And Significance
- horoscopeDaily Horoscope, 19 August 2022: Today's Horoscope Predictions For All Zodiac Signs
- horoscopeDaily Horoscope, 18 August 2022: Today's Horoscope Predictions For All Zodiac Signs
- yoga spiritualityJanmashtami 2022: List Of Demons Killed By Lord Krishna
- festivalsJanmashtami 2022: 11 Inspirational Quotes By Lord Krishna
- festivalsSahasrarjun (Rajarajeshwara) Temple: Architecture, Best Time To Visit, History And Significance
- horoscopeDaily Horoscope, 17 August 2022: Today's Horoscope Predictions For All Zodiac Signs
- festivalsStambheshwar Mahadev Temple: Know About The Disappearing Temple At Kavi Kamboi
- festivalsLalita Saptami 2022: Date, Iconography, Puja Rituals, History, And Significance
- horoscopeDaily Horoscope, 16 August 2022: Today's Horoscope Predictions For All Zodiac Signs
- festivalsJwalamukhi Mandir: Puja Rituals, Best Time To Visit, Aarti Timings, Architecture, And Legends