- 2 hrs ago Daily Horoscope, 24 May 2022: Check Today's Horoscope Predictions For All Zodiac Signs
- 17 hrs ago What Are Empty Calories? Major Sources, Disadvantages And How To Replace Them
- 18 hrs ago Omicron Subvariants BA.4 And BA.5 In India: What You Need To Know
- 18 hrs ago First Death Of A Child Reported In Mexico Due To Mysterious Severe Hepatitis: Things To Know
- Movies Sarkaru Vaari Paata Day 12 Box Office Collection: Mahesh Babu's Film Slows Down At The Box Office
- Sports Racing Along The Singalong Track in Chennai
- Travel GlampEco - Glamping At India's First Geodesic Dome Stay
- News Another bout of rain lashes Delhi-NCR, several flights delayed
- Finance Motilal Oswal Suggests Buy This Stock For 25% Potential Gains, Declared Final Dividend Of Rs 6.25
- Education NABARD AM Prelims Mains 2021 Cut Off Marks, Check NABARD Assistant Manager RDBS Rajbhasha Cut Off Details Here
- Automobiles KTM RC 390 Launched At Rs 3.14 Lakhs
- Technology Vivo T2 5G Launch Postponed; Check New Launch Date, Features & Expected Pricing
Buddhism is the most popular and avidly followed religion with a massive number of devotees spread every corner across the globe. Buddha's birthday is celebrated based on the Asian lunisolar calendars. It is primarily celebrated in the Vaisakha month according to the Buddhist calendar and as per the Gregorian calendar, it falls in the month of April or May.
May is the month it is usually celebrated in. Buddha Purnima is a conglomeration of three major events in buddhas life. Three occasions in his life, namely, birth, salvation and death are celebrated on this day which the Buddhists call the "thrice-blessed festival day." Let us know more about the date, time, puja rituals, worship method, significance and celebrations associated with Buddha Purnima.
Buddha Purnima 2022: Date And Time
Vaishakh Purnima or Buddha Purnima will be celebrated on Monday, 16 May 2022. The auspicious time of Buddha Purnima will begin from 12.45 pm on Sunday, May 15 and continue till 9.45 pm on Monday, 16 May.
Buddha Purnima 2022: An Overview Of Gautama Buddha's Life
Buddha, the founder of Buddhism, was a scion of a royal family, born around 563/480 BCE in Lumbini gardens in Nepal. Buddha's birth anniversary is a momentous occasion for Buddhists all over the world, especially for the east Asian followers of Buddha, who celebrate it in the traditional style so as to relive the spirit of his times. Buddha attained enlightenment after practising penance for six years when he was 35 years of age.
The first few years of penance were spent in rituals and fasting observances that did not yield the results he strove for. Finally at the Gaya, in Bihar, under a pipal tree, he performed a very rigorous tapasya (penance) for 7 continuous days. On the 7th day, he attained Buddhahood. Travelling widely all over India with the sole purpose of spreading his knowledge, he met with scores of fellow human beings whom he initiated into his religious cult, and finally attained maha parinirvana (samadhi) at the age of 80 in Kushinagar.
However, in countries belonging to the Mahayana tradition, Buddhists celebrate these three occasions on three separate days, during different times, in a year. they observe Buddhas birthday in Vesak day, in some other Buddhist countries, it is conducted as a week-long celebration. In Japan, it always observed on 08 April, as per the modern calendar.
Buddha Purnima 2022: Puja Rituals Or Vidhi
Almost all the Buddhists hang lanterns, arrange festive dinners and rath/path yatras, and visit temples with naivedya offerings on the day of the Buddha. There is a famous tradition of "Washing the Baby buddha" which has very symbolic connotations. this is how the story goes. when Buddha was born, he was able to stand up, walk seven steps further, and say " I am the honoured one."
He pointed his fingers heavenwards, and then down, indicating that he was indeed born to appease and conquer the three worlds, through his Tapasya (penance). The seven steps that he walked is believed to point at seven different directions. They were north, south, west, east, up, down and here. This is exactly why the ceremony of washing the baby buddha is conducted. The figurine the Buddhists choose for washing is a small standing idol, with the right hand pointing upwards, and the left pointing down. It is placed on an altar where people submit their prayers and offerings, and then do the abhisheka from a ladle filled with tea or water.
Buddha Purnima 2022: Worship Method
White robes are prescribed for wearing on this day, as the white colour is believed to exude peaceful vibrations that have a beneficial impact on the mind. Buddhists sit down in the temples to meditate and imbibe Buddha's principles. It is said that invoking him in their hearts will be possible in the serene ambience of the shrine, as it will be easier to connect with his beneficence internally in a calm atmosphere. Only vegetarian food is advised to be consumed on this day and kheer is prepared and distributed in all Buddhist homes. Those who can visit the bodhi tree in Bodh Gaya Bihar, can pay a visit and cleanse themselves of impurities at all three levels.
Charitable activities, like donating alms for the poor and the needy, bring out the good Samaritan in you and allows you to relate to and see the sufferings of your fellow co-travellers in a new light. It is time to merge into the sea of humanity and share the milk of human kindness with others, that need it. You will be able to merge with the sea of universal humanity.
Buddha Purnima 2022- Celebrations
The Buddha's Birthday is a day which is earmarked for celebrations as well as for introspective reflections for devotees. Theravada Buddhist groups celebrate all three occasions, that is, birth, enlightenment and nirvana on the same day of Vaisakha or Vesak month, Tibetan Buddhists also follow this same tradition and combine these three events into one day of Saga Dawa Duchen normally in June.
This day is also known as Buddha Purnima or Vaisakhi Buddha Purnima or Vesak. Some of the devotees stay at home and pray to him whereas many others prefer to visit the temple, to stay there the whole day, and even beyond the wee hours the next morning. Continuous praying, alms donation to the needy, doing many charitable deeds that suit your convenience, sharing food, and discussing the teachings and tenets with each other, goes on throughout the day, and night of the full moon.
Disclaimer: The information is based on assumptions and information available on the internet and the accuracy or reliability is not guaranteed. Boldsky does not confirm any inputs or information related to the article and our only purpose is to deliver information. Kindly consult the concerned expert before practising or implementing any information and assumption.
- faith mysticismBuddha Purnima 2022: Important Teachings Of Gautam Buddha That Will Empower You
- faith mysticismBuddha Purnima 2021: Quotes And Teachings Of Lord Buddha
- faith mysticismBuddha Purnima 2021: Date, Rituals And Significance Of This Festival
- lifeBuddha Purnima 2022: Quotes, Wishes And Messages To Share With Your Loved Ones
- faith mysticismBuddha Purnima 2021: Some Inspiring Teachings Of Lord Buddha That Will Enlighten You
- faith mysticismBuddha Purnima 2019: Date, Importance And Significance
- horoscopeDaily Horoscope, 24 May 2022: Check Today's Horoscope Predictions For All Zodiac Signs
- festivalsBenefits Of Applying Sindoor On Main Door, As Per Vastu Shastra
- festivalsPanihati Chida Dahi Utsava 2022: Date, Time, Legends, Celebrations, History And Significance
- festivalsPanihati Chida Dahi Utsava: Date, Time, Legends, Celebrations, History And Significance
- horoscopeDaily Horoscope, 23 May 2022: Check Today's Horoscope Predictions For All Zodiac Signs
- faith mysticismUnlucky Plants: Avoid Growing These Nine Forbidden Plants At Home, As Per Vastu