- 6 hrs ago Dustin Hoffman Birthday Special Irresistibly Versatile Actor Turns 85
- 14 hrs ago It’s Raining Offers On Amazon: Bag 60% Off On Handbags Today!
- 17 hrs ago Best And Perfect Travel Companions Based On The Zodiac Signs
- 17 hrs ago National Handloom Day: Tiger Stripes Collection Chakradhara By Warp N Weft And WWF India
- Sports CWG 2022: Indian women’s cricket team clinch silver in first-ever Games final as Aus bag gold with 9-run win
- Movies Khatron Ke Khiladi 12 August 7 Highlights: Chetna Pande Gets Eliminated From The Show
- News BJP-JDU rift widens? Bihar CM Kumar calls meeting of party MLAs, MPs
- Education How Can MSc Business Analytics Boost Your Career Growth?
- Automobiles Royal Enfield Hunter 350 Launched At Rs 1,49,900 - The Lightest Enfield
- Travel Phang Nga Bay: James Bond Island
- Finance 'Cipla' Betting Big on Digitisation And Emerging Segments
- Technology Jio Games Watch Will Let You Earn Money While Gaming
Eid-Al-Adha means a festival of sacrifice and in the Muslim community, it has religious significance attached to it. The day is observed to mark and honour the selfless act of Prophet Ibrahim to sacrifice his son Ismail to God, in order to prove his devotion.
This day starts with a Namaz, or prayers in nearby mosques in the early morning. Warm greetings of Eid Mubarak are exchanged between the devotees, in mosques, across the country. This festival is a very momentous occasion for Muslims in general. Let us delve deep to know more about Bakrid or Eidal-Adha.
Bakrid (Eid-al-Adha) 2022: Date and Time
According to Islamic Hijri Calendar, this year in 2022, Eid al-Adha will begin on Saturday, 09 July and continue till Sunday, 10 July during which grand feasts and rituals will be carried out.
Bakrid (Eid al-Adha) 2022: Cuisine
Feasts are organised on the day of Bakrid. The slaughtered animal meat is used to make the variety of dishes that are hallmarks of the day of Bakrid festivities. It symbolizes the enjoyment of the festival to the brim and delicacies that quench the cravings. The dishes prepared by the slaughtered animals are divided into three portions, which are given as gifts to friends and family. Korma, Kebabs, Haleem, Biryani, Pulao, meat curries, fried liver, and Kokorec (a Turkish dish), are some of the popular dishes that are served during this occasion. This is a day to share love, happiness, and a bond of togetherness, and solidarity.
Bakrid (Eid al-Adha) 2022: History and Significance
Bakrid is an occasion and opportunity to revisit the times of Ibrahim, and the obedience he displayed, and this is done by sacrificing cow, goat, lamb, buffalo, or camel. The slaughtered animal is distributed amongst Muslim families, neighbours, friends as well as the poor so that they can consume an elaborately prepared meat dish on this day. Another sweet delicacy by the name Sheer khurma, is prepared with milk, vermicelli, and dry fruits to tickle the palate and always leave them wanting more.
Bakrid also happens to be the day when the verses of the Holy Quran were completed. Muslims wear new colourful dresses with a festive look and take part in the festivities with interest and enthusiasm. It is customary for them to visit their nears and dears, to give and take gifts and to just dine with them.
On one of those fateful nights, prophet Ibrahim woke up to a startlingly vivid vision in which Lord appeared before him and asked him to sacrifice his beloved son Ismail, to prove his obedience and surrender to him. As Ibrahim's devotion was of the highest order, he carried his son to Mount Arafah and got equipped for the sacrifice. When he was about to sacrifice Ismail, the archangel Jibril (intermediary between God and humans) arrived there with a goat, sheep, or ram and revealed that it was just the lord's way of testing Ibrahim and he could sacrifice the ram that was with him, as a ransom for his son. This episode involving Ibrahim has inspired Muslims across the globe to honour this occasion of Bakrid as the day of sacrifice.
Bakrid (Eid al-Adha) 2022: Celebrations
This day is a declared as a public holiday. Celebrations in Mosques will be in full swing and huge crowds gather from all over the area, which sometimes blocks the traffic momentarily. So, the public transport system is operational only during certain hours during this day. The purpose of sacrifice is not bloodshed but a display of their devotion to the lord. People exhibit their love for God by performing the act of sacrifice of animals. This celebration is indicative of the lord's intervention just when Ibrahim had raised his sword in a bid to sacrifice his only son. This sacrifice teaches us to treat everyone equally as everyone is equal in the eyes of God, and to be kind to other fellow beings and display selfless devotion to the lord.
Disclaimer: The information is based on assumptions and information available on the internet and the accuracy or reliability is not guaranteed. Boldsky does not confirm any inputs or information related to the article and our only purpose is to deliver information. Kindly consult the concerned expert before practising or implementing any information and assumption
Image sources: Wikimedia Commons
- horoscopeWeekly Horoscope, 07 August To 13 August 2022, Check This Week Horoscope Prediction For All Zodiac Signs
- horoscopeDaily Horoscope, 07 August 2022: Today's Horoscope Predictions For All Zodiac Signs
- horoscopeDaily Horoscope, 06 August 2022: Today's Horoscope Predictions For All Zodiac Signs
- zodiac signsBest Yoga Poses For 12 Zodiac Signs
- zodiac signsHow To Spend This Friendship Day, As Per Your Zodiac Sign
- festivalsRaksha Bandhan Astrological Remedies For Good Luck Of Brother(s)
- horoscopeDaily Horoscope, 05 August 2022: Today's Horoscope Predictions For All Zodiac Signs
- festivalsHaving Visa Problems? Visit These Four Famous Visa Temples In India If You Are Planning To Go Abroad
- festivalsTriyuginarayan Temple: How To Reach, Time To Visit, History, Significance And Architecture
- horoscopeDaily Horoscope, 04 August 2022: Today's Horoscope Predictions For All Zodiac Signs
- festivalsKaal Sarpa Dosha/ Yoga: Types, Remedies, Benefits And Exceptions
- horoscopeDaily Horoscope, 03 August 2022: Today's Horoscope Predictions For All Zodiac Signs