- 10 hrs ago 8 Popular Facial Oil Myths Busted For You!
- 10 hrs ago Kate Middleton's White Kurta Set Is The Traditional Outfit That Your Closet Demands
- 11 hrs ago Porphyria (The Vampire Syndrome): Causes, Symptoms, Risk Factors, Treatment And Prevention
- 12 hrs ago World Pediatric Bone And Joint Day 2019: Date And Theme
- News Prasar Bharati Recruitment 2019: Doordarshan Assistant Section Officer jobs announced, 30 vacancies
- Movies Just In: Amitabh Bachchan In Hospital For Past Three Days Due To Liver Problem
- Technology Xiaomi Sees 30-40% Growth In Offline Sales: Report
- Sports ISL 2019-20: ATK building a legacy with focus on youth
- Automobiles 2020 Mahindra TUV300 Plus Spied Testing Ahead Of Its Launch: Spy Pics & Details
- Travel How To Choose The Right Travel Insurance Policy
- Education HTET Preparation Tips To Crack Exam In One Month
- Finance Tata Motors Shares Spike 13% As UK Strikes New Brexit Deal
Ugadi is the name of the celebration of Hindu New Year in Karnataka and Andhra Pradesh. This is celebrated throughout the country in different names.
It is celebrated in the name of Gudi Padwa in Maharashtra and people in West Bengal celebrate it as Nobo-borsho.
The feelings of the occasion are the same everywhere and that is to welcome New Year with new hope, aspiration, happiness and prosperity.
This is the sole importance of Ugadi. Ugadi is derived from two Sanskrit words, 'Yuga’ meaning era and 'Adi’ meaning the beginning.
So, what are the important things to do on Ugadi? Every festival has its own rituals. Ugadi is no exception to that. There are lots of interesting things to do on Ugadi. Usually, Ugali is celebrated on the Chaitra Shukla Pratipada.
According to mythology, this is the day when Lord Brahma created the universe and also corrected it to make it more beautiful.
This signifies that human beings should learn from their past mistakes and frame their life in a new way, so that they can achieve their goals and be prosperous.
So, this year, while celebrating Ugadi, you will definitely perform all these rituals. Here is a list of things to do on Ugadi. Have a look.
Beginning Of Ugadi:
Ugadi starts early in the morning, around 4.30 a.m. The old women of the house chant the mantras and sing hymns. So, this is definitely one of the most important things to do on Ugadi.
While you think of things to do on Ugadi, this is the most crucial one. The ceremonial oil bath on Ugadi is known as ‘Thailabhyangana Snanam'. Every member of the family performs it at the early morning hours of Ugadi. Then, the devotees perform Brahma Puja, as Lord Brahma created the universe on this day.
Several gods and goddesses are worshipped in every household. People perform Ganapati Puja, Lakshmi Puja, Uma Maheshwar Puja, Narayana Puja, Sachi Indra Puja, Vani Hiranyagarbha Puja, Arundhuti Vasishtha Puja, etc, on Ugadi day. These pujas are other vital things to do on Ugadi to bring prosperity and happiness in life.
Festival means having special dishes. Ugadi celebration isn't complete without Bevu Bella (in Karnataka) or Ugadi Pachadi (in Andhra Pradesh). This recipe is made of 6 tastes (bitter, sour, sweet, hotness, salty and tangy), which represent the 6 emotions of your life. It is offered in puja and distributed as ‘prasaad'.
Ugadi Panchanga Puja
Panchanga Shravanam is one of those things to do on Ugadi. It is performed in the evening. New Panchanga is placed on a stool, decorated with flowers, turmeric, vermillion, sandalwood paste and rice. Then the puja is performed and devotees listen to the astrological predictions for the New Year made by the Brahmins.
As Ugadi is the herald of burning summer, many kind-hearted people organise free water camps for people on this festival, which will continue up to four months of summer. This performance is known as ‘Chalivendram'.