- 31 min ago Richa Chadha, Lisa Ray, Kalki Koechlin Have Unique Outfit Ideas For Formal Events
- 1 hr ago Aamir Khan's Daughter Ira Khan Has Red And Blue Gown Goals For Us
- 1 hr ago Joint Pain In Children: Causes, Symptoms, Diagnosis And How To Treat It
- 2 hrs ago Hodgkin's Lymphoma: Types, Symptoms, Causes, Risk Factors, Diagnosis, Stages, And Treatment
- Sports India Vs Bangladesh: Team India physio rushes on the pitch to check Bangladesh batsman Nayeem Hasan for concussion
- Travel Jagdalpur – A Paradise Full Of Natural Bounties
- Automobiles Royal Enfield Headed To Double Digit Growth Says New CEO Vinod Dasari
- Technology Vivo U20 First Impressions: Pros, Cons, And The X-Factor
- News Meghalaya BJP urges Shah to exclude state from CAB's purview
- Finance Bharti Airtel, Vodafone Idea File Review Petitions In Supreme Court On AGR Verdict
- Movies Sarileru Neekevvaru Teaser: Mahesh Babu Packs A Punch In What Looks Like A Promising Entertainer!
- Education Why World Children's Day Is Celebrated On November 20?
Kartik Purnima, which is also called "Tripuri or Tripurari Purnima", is the full moon day of the Kartik month. Kartik Purnima generally falls in the month of November each year. There are numerous legends associated with Kartik Purnima, which prove why Kartik Purnima is so auspicious.
Lord Vishnu And Shiva Descended On Earth
People believe that it was during this day when Lord Vishnu and Lord Shiva descended on earth. Hence, it is said that you can be immensely benefited if you worship them throughout this month. On Kartik Purnima, people throng the temples of Lord Shiva and Lord Vishnu in large numbers.
Lord Vishnu Took The Matsya Form
As per one more legend, on the day of Kartik Purnima, Lord Vishnu incarnated as Matsya (or fish) and saved Manu (who was the first man to be alive after the Maha Pralay). This is also a reason why Kartik Purnima is so auspicious.
Kartik Purnima Also Known As Tripuri Purnima
Kartik Purnima is also popularly known as "Diwali of the Gods". It is also well known as "Tripuri Purnima" because Lord Shiva defeated the Tripuri demons on this auspicious day. On this promising day, thousands of devotees visit shrines, bathe in rivers and illuminate lamps.
On this day, Lord Shiva vanquished the Tripuri demons and, hence, people also call it "Tripuri Purnima". It is believed that this is the most favourable day to please Lord Shiva.
Rituals Of Kartik Purnima
There is a plethora of rituals that need to be followed, in order to value the importance of Kartik Purnima, such as the following:
1.You must wake up before the sun rises and offer your daily prayers.
2.There is a significance of taking a bath in the holy Ganga river.
3.You must recite the name of God or sing a bhajan or a mantra.
4.Offer your prayers to Goddess Tulsi and Lord Vishnu and light lamps before them in the evening.
5.Don't eat anything throughout the day; eat only in the evening after having worshipped the stars.
6.Donate food or clothes to the needy and give "Dakshina" to the priests or Brahmins.
7.Make sure to visit the temples every Monday to offer prayers and perform other spiritual activities.
Fairs Celebrated During Kartik Purnima
There are a number of fairs that are celebrated during Kartik Purnima in different states of India. In Rajasthan, the largest fair known as the "Pushkar Mela" is held in the town of Pushkar. The Pushkar fair is dedicated to Lord Brahma, and in this fair a large number of livestock is put up for sale. In Andhra Pradesh, people celebrate Anantagiri Jathara on the day of Kartik Purnima. Another big fair that is celebrated during this time is the "Kapal Mochan Mela".
Guru Nanak Jayanthi Is Also Celebrated
The birth of Guru Nanak also coincides with Kartik Purnima and that is why it is auspicious for the Sikh devotees as well.
Lord Mahavir Is Also Worshipped
In Jainism, there is a special importance of Kartik Purnima. During this month the Jain followers (or Jains) offer their prayers to Lord Mahavir.
Benefits Of Ashvamedha Yagya
On this day, it is said that it is good if you fast, in order to get rid of all your sins.
The prayers offered to the God, fasts done and donations made during Kartik Purnima give you the same benefits as that of Ashwamedha Yagya.