- 10 hrs ago Amazing Health Benefits Of Banana For Men: Good For Heart, Sexual Problems And Hair Growth
- 11 hrs ago Airport Fashion: Janhvi Kapoor, Katrina Kaif, And Other Actresses Show Us How To Look Comfortably Chic
- 14 hrs ago Breast Cancer Awareness Month 2021: Tahira Kashyap Khurrana Gives A Reminder Of Self-love
- 14 hrs ago Kareena Kapoor Khan’s Latest Look Is About Blending Sportswear With Traditional Couture
- News Centre in HC defends IT rule requiring WhatsApp to trace originator of message
- Movies Bigg Boss 15 October 22 Highlights: Junglewasis Enter The Main House After Losing Prize Money Worth Rs 25 Lakh
- Sports Jaismine, Basumatary ease into second round on Day 2 at 5th Elite Women's National Boxing Championships
- Technology Honor X30i Key Features Revealed Via New Leak; Launch Anticipated On October 25
- Finance This Small Cap Plastics Company Announces 2:1 Bonus Issue
- Automobiles Mercedes-Benz Creates The Most Transparent Retail Experience
- Education UPSC CDS II Admit Card 2021 Released At upsc.gov.in, Here’s How To Download Hall Tickets
- Travel Gujarat's Ten Best Winter Destinations
Vasant Panchami which is also known as Basant Panchami is a popular festival in the northern side of India. The festival of Vasant Panchami is celebrated on the fifth day of Shukla Paksha of the Magh month according to the Hindu calendar. This day is dedicated to Goddess Saraswati, the Goddess of knowledge, wisdom, art and music. This year the festival will be celebrated on 16 February 2021
Apart from this, devotees worship Lord Vishnu and Goddess Radha also on Vasant Panchami.
People Wear Yellow Clothes On Vasant Panchami
This festival marks the end of winter and the onset of 'Vasant Ritu' (spring season). Spring is known as the season of rebirth and renewal. In this season, fields of yellow mustard charm everyone's heart. Colourful flowers start blooming. The day of Basant Panchami is celebrated as the welcoming of colours and happiness. That is why people wear yellow clothes to mark the day.
The Birth Of Goddess Saraswati
Vasant Panchami is regarded as Goddess Saraswati's birthday. This is the reason why Saraswati puja is observed in most Hindu households, especially in the Eastern parts of India. Goddess Saraswati is the Goddess of learning, wisdom, knowledge, fine arts, science and technology. Hence, students look forward to celebrating this day and worship Goddess Saraswati.
Let us take a look into the legends, stories and the reason why Vasant Panchami is celebrated with much enthusiasm.
Celebration Of Beauty
In ancient Indian literature, Vasant Panchami is associated with Shringara Rasam and the festival was celebrated according to this tradition. Even today, the celebrations still honour Kamadeva, his wife Rati, and his friend Vasant (the personification of spring).
Lord Brahma, After The Creation Of The Universe
The reason why Vasant Panchami is dedicated to the Goddess of learning can be understood from this story. The story goes that after the creation of the Universe, Lord Brahma was very pleased by himself. So, he wanted to see the whole world with his own eyes. Therefore, he set out on a journey. When he saw the world, he was disappointed to see complete silence all around the world. Everyone on the Earth appeared very lonely. Lord Brahma therefore, gave a lot of thought to what he had created.
So, he took some water in his Kamandalu and sprinkled it in the air. An angel appeared from a tree. The angel had a veena (harp) in her hand. Lord Brahma requested her to play something so that everything on Earth would become vibrant. As a result, the angel started playing some music.
According to the Vasant Panchami story, the angel blessed the people of the Earth with her voice. She also filled this planet with music. Since then, that angel came to be known as Goddess Saraswati, the Goddess of speech and knowledge. She is also known as Veena Vadini (harp player).
Welcoming The Spring
On Vasant Panchami, people wear bright yellow clothes as a mark of welcoming the spring season. This celebration lasts till Holi which is the biggest spring festival of the year. Hence, Vasant Panchami is a celebration of seasonal change, love, beauty, knowledge and everything that is beautiful in this world.