- 9 hrs ago Father’s Day 2021: Here’s The History And Significance Of This Day
- 10 hrs ago Milkha Singh Passes Away At 91: Some Facts About The Renowned Athlete
- 13 hrs ago Hina Khan Shows How To Ace Warm And Dewy Makeup Look But Her Cute Half Updo Hairstyle Will Win You Over!
- 18 hrs ago Shilpa Shetty Kundra Is Style And Elegance Personified In Her White Organza Saree With Printed Fancy Blouse
- Technology Fathers Day 2021 Gift Ideas Best Truly Wireless Headsets Under Rs. 5,000
- Sports Euro 2020: Portugal 2-4 Germany: Holders score two own goals in thumping defeat
- Movies The Gurmeet Choudhary Foundation Opens First Post COVID-19 Care Centre In Bihar
- News People will not tolerate self-centred politics: Uddhav Thackeray slams Congress leaders
- Education Telangana Schools And Colleges To Reopen From July 1, Check Latest Updates
- Automobiles From Repairing Bicycles To Owning A BMW 5 Series & A Jaguar XJ L — Inspiring Story Of Rahul Taneja
- Finance HDFC Bank To Buy Stake Worth Over Rs 1,906 Crore In Group's General Insurer From Parent HDFC
- Travel Best Places To Visit In South India In August
As recorded in the Gospel of Luke, Mary and Joseph took infant Jesus to the temple in Jerusalem for the ritual purification of Mary owing to child birth and in order to perform the redemption of the first born, conforming to the Law Of Mosses.
As per the Bible episode, in the temple, the couple encountered Simeon, who was not to see death before he saw Christ. Simeon thus prayed, “Now you are releasing your servant, Master, according to your word, in peace; for my eyes have seen your salvation, which you have prepared before the face of all peoples; a light for revelation to the nations, and the glory of your people Israel"-( Luke 2:29-32).
Simeon also prophesied to Virgin Mary thus : "Behold, this child is set for the falling and the rising of many in Israel, and for a sign which is spoken against. Yes, a sword will pierce through your own soul, that the thoughts of many hearts may be revealed" -(Luke 2:34-35).
Candlemas Day, according to theWestern tradition of Christianity, refers to an episode , wherein a priest blessed some Candles for using them throughout the day, by distributing them to those who had faith.
Roman Catholics refer to Candlemas Day as Feast of Presentation of the Lord, with references to the candles and comemorating the prophesy of Simeon.
The swadeling clothes of Jesus Christ worn during the presentation are still treasured in Dubrovnik Cathedral, Croatia.
According to Eastern tradition combines the Great Feast of the Lord and the Feast of the Theotokos (Mother of God) It is observed by following forefeast of one day and afterfeast of seven days. However if the feast happens to fall during the Great Lent, the afterfeast is shortened or not abserved.
An All-Night Vigil is observed on the eve of the feast, and a celebration of the Divine Liturgy when the day dawns on which beeswax candles are blessed.
Four prayers are read out by the priest. During the fifth the assembled bow their heads before God. The candles are then blessed and distributed to people, after which the Liturgy begins.
So Candlemas Day simply brings to mind an episode from the life of Jesus Christ, the One who illumined and redeemed the minds of the woe begotten.