- 7 min ago Neena Gupta's Frock Look Is Winning The Internet And We Love It
- 15 min ago Ananya Panday’s Bronze Make-up Look For Star Screen Awards Is A Red Carpet Win
- 42 min ago Sonakshi Sinha’s Recent Pink Ethereal Outfits Are What All Fashionistas' Dreams Are Made Of
- 57 min ago 11 Health Benefits Of White Pepper
- Movies Inside Video: What Break Up? Kartik Aaryan & Sara Ali Khan Are All Comfy At The Star Screen Awards
- News Noida police recover 2 dead bodies in a house, extramarital affair suspected
- Automobiles Orxa Mantis Electric Performance Motorcycle Revealed At India Bike Week 2019
- Finance Petrol Price Rises To One-Year High; Price In Delhi Rs. 75/Lt
- Sports Sri Lanka arrive in Pakistan for first Test series on Pak soil after 2009
- Technology Vivo V17: The Good, Bad, And The X Factor
- Travel Darjeeling - The Queen Of Hills
- Education TOEFL Go! Global: A Mobile App From ETS To Stand Out In Exam
Janmashtami, the birth anniversary of Lord Krishna and this year, it will be celebrated on 24th August, Saturday. It marks the day when Lord Krishna was born in the jail cell where his maternal uncle, Kamsa had kept his parents as captives. It is said that when Devaki, Kamsa's sister got married to Vasudev, a prophecy was heard that the eighth child of the couple would bring death to Kamsa. As he got to know this, Kamsa imprisoned both his sister and brother-in-law in Mathura, his kingdom. He would kill every child that was born to Devaki. It is said that their seventh child was mystically transferred to Rohini's womb, by divine powers, and he took birth as Balram, whom we know as Krishna's elder brother.
Krishna was born as the eighth child and soon after the birth, his father carried him to Gokul, amidst the heavy rains, to hide him at the house of Nanda. A girl was born to Yashoda, the wife of Nanda. She did not realize when the babies got exchanged and thought that she had actually given birth to a boy. The whole village of Gokul came to celebrate the day with Nanda family at his house.
The Auspicious Day Krishna Was Born
As per astrology, it was a very auspicious day when Krishna was born - the Ashtami Tithi during Krishna Paksha in the month of Bhadrapad. He was born at midnight, when Rohini Nakshatra (constellation) was set in the sky, Sun was in Leo and Moon was in Taurus. A child born under such a set-up of the stars is considered to be very lucky, not just for his own life, but for the society as a whole.
However, an even interesting fact is that the same set-up of the stars is occurring for Janmashtami this year, September 2, 2018. The Ashtami Tithi will begin at 8:48 pm on September 2 and will end at 7:19 pm on September 3. The starting time for Rohini Nakshatra will be 8:48 pm on September 2 and the ending time would be 8:08 pm on September 3. Thus, the Janmashtami occurring this year will be very fruitful, say the astrologers.
Moreover, Janmashtami will be observed for two days, where the first day, September 2 would be observed at temple and at the houses of priests, the second day, September 3, would be observed by others. The Dahi Handi would be held on September 3.
Along with this, here we give you some mantras that you can chant to please Lord Krishna on this Janmashtami.
Mantras To Chant On Janmashtami
- Hare Krishna Hare Krishna, Krishna Krishna Krishna Hare Hare
Hare Ram Hare Ram, Ram Ram Hare Hare
This Mantra is known as Mahamantra, and it became popular during the Bhakti movement of Chaitanya Mahaprabhu, during the 15th century.
- Om Namoh Bhagvate Shri Govindaaye
This mantra brings prosperity and fulfilment and is very beneficial for those who desire love marriage.
- Krim Krishnaye Namah
This mantra is believed to have been given by Lord Krishna himself. It brings happiness and removes all kinds of problems in life.
- Shri Krishnay Sharanam Mam
This mantra is also believed to remove all the problems that one might be facing in life.
- Along with all these mantras you can also recite Kanhaiya Stuti, which is said to be one of the supreme ways of pleasing Lord Krishna.