- 3 hrs ago 12 Types Of Roommates That One May Come Across And How To Deal With Them
- 9 hrs ago People With Lung Cancer Have A High Risk Of Depression
- 10 hrs ago Pati Patni Aur Woh Actress Bhumi Pednekar Raises Mercury Levels With Her Eclectic Fashion!
- 11 hrs ago Gita Jayanti 2019: Know The History, Date And Significance Of This Day
- Movies Nawazuddin Siddiqui’s 26 Year Old Sister Syama Tamshi Siddiqui Passes Away
- News Amid violence Jharkhand Assembly polls 2nd phase ended with 63.36% voters turnout
- Sports Manchester City 1-2 Manchester United: Rashford and Martial land big win for Solskjaer
- Technology OnePlus Exporting 5G Smartphones From India: Report
- Automobiles KTM 790 Adventure Showcased At India Bike Week Ahead Of 2020 Launch
- Finance Now 5,500 Railway Stations Have Free WiFi
- Education TOEFL Go! Global: A Mobile App From ETS To Stand Out In Exam
- Travel A Brief Travel Guide For Solo Travellers To Conquer South India
Mahavir Jayanti is the most important celebration for the Jain community and is observed by the Jains living all over the world. Mahavir Jayanti commemorates the birth anniversary of Lord Mahavir.
It was Lord Mahavir who helped in establishing the basics of the religion - Jainism. There were 24 tirtankaras in Jainism.
Lord Mahavir is believed to have been born on the 13th day (traiyodashi) of the Shukla Paksha in the month of Chaitra. The year in which he was born was 599 BC. The birth place of Lord Mahavir is situated in the area that is known as Pavapuri in Bihar today. After he turned 72 years of age, there is not much mention in the history about his whereabouts.
This year, Mahavir Jayanti falls on the 29th of March. The Muhurta for the day is as follows:
The trayodashi begins at 23.23 hours on 28th March 2018 and ends at 21.22 hours on 29th of March 2018. On this day, the Jains will celebrate the 2616th birth anniversary of Lord Mahavir. He was the 24th and the last Tirtankara.
There are many more fascinating things about Mahavir who basically founded the Jain religion. Read on to know some of the facts that you did not know about Lord Mahavir, on the auspicious occasion of Mahavir Jayanti.
Even Before His Birth, His Parents Knew That Mahavir Would Become A Great Man
The country was in a state of chaos. The public needed the arrival of a man capable of leading them away from all the chaos. King Siddharta and Queen Trishala were expecting a baby around this time. The Queen would have very beautiful dreams every day. The King met with a wise man and asked him what all the dreams meant. The King was then informed that the baby was no ordinary child and would become a great man when he grew up.
The Many Names Of Lord Mahavir
Lord Mahavir became famous with five different names. He was called Veer, Mahaveer, Ativeer, Sanmati and Vardhaman.
The Story Of Lord Mahavir Leaving His Home
When Mahavir was 28 years old, both his parents passed away. His elder brother, Nandi Vardhan, requested him to stay with him and he honoured that request for two more years. At the age of 30, he had deeksha and as a result, left his home. He gave up his kingdom and family and went forth into the world on the Krishna Dashami of Margashirsha month.
Meditation Of Lord Mahavir
Lord Mahavir spent the next 12 years in deep meditation. In the end, as a result of all his hard and intense prayers, he received enlightenment. He was 42 years old at that time.
The Method To Reach Salvation
Lord Mahavir taught the world the way to salvation. It has five pathways. One should practice them to attain salvation after his time on earth is done. The five ways are truth, avoiding theft, tolerance, pure mind and not collecting or storing anything in excess.
Lord Mahavir Attaining Salvation - Moksha
In a place known as Pavapuri, Lord Mahavir passed away at the age of 72. It is said that he attained Nirvana on that day too. His life ended with a legacy that he left behind. He taught the world a principle of live and let live and taught people to live in peace and harmony. His teachings and his life shall always be an example for his devotees and followers and will help them lead a peaceful and harmonious life.