Navratri festival is in full swing throughout the country. Various avatars of Maa Durga are celebrated everyday and elaborate poojas are done to invoke her divine blessings.
There is a certain significance of each day of Navratri. However, the last three days of Navratri are solely dedicated to Goddess Saraswati.
Goddess Saraswati is the goddess of knowledge, art and music. The goddess is also known to invent the Sanskrit language. People worship the goddess to acquire knowledge and wisdom. A Saraswati Pooja is done elaborately in the evening of the eighth day of Navratri.
Auspicious Date And Timings Of The Pooja
For this year, the Saraswati Pooja begins on 28th September and ends on 30th September. The most auspicious timings of the pooja are said to be from 3.51 pm to 6.13 pm on 28th September.
Significance Of The Pooja
Goddess Saraswati is known as the goddess of knowledge and wisdom. The goddess is known to destroy the evils of ignorance and bestow us with true enlightenment and knowledge. Her blessings are required to perform well in academics or any other artistic pursuits.
On this day, the books and tools of knowledge are kept in the pooja room. The last day, i.e. the day of Vijaya Dashmi, is also known as the day of Vidyarambh, where small children, who haven't yet learned to write, are made to write their first letter. This is done in order to ensure Goddess Saraswati's blessings throughout their learning stages.
Steps For The Saraswati Pooja
- Idol/picture of Goddess Saraswati.
- Flowers and mango leaves
- Turmeric and kumkum
- Bananas and other fruits
- White cloth
- Place the idol/image of the goddess in the pooja room.
- Decorate with flowers and fruits.
- While chanting any sloka dedicated to Goddess Saraswati, decorate her idol/picture with kumkum.
- Light diyas and agarbattis in front of it.
- Cover a tray with a white cloth and place all the books in it.
- Sprinkle flowers on the idol/picture and the books.
- Apply some turmeric and kumkum on the books too.
- Place the rice and turmeric on Goddess Saraswati.
- Offer the prasadam to everyone present for the pooja.
- Remember not to touch the books till the day of Vijaya Dashmi.
On this auspicious day of Vijaya Dashmi, a yagna can also be performed to invoke the goddess's divine blessings. Things like ghee, kheer and sesame seeds are offered.