- 2 hrs ago 10 Risks Associated With Protein Overconsumption
- 3 hrs ago 8 Alarming Symptoms Of Cervical Cancer In Women
- 4 hrs ago Ananya Panday Stuns In A Tarun Tahiliani’s Hand-Embroidered Lehenga And It Is Pretty Unique
- 5 hrs ago Pooja Hedge’s Green Velvet Manish Malhotra Lehenga Will Help You Rock Winter Wedding
- Sports Goa survive resilient Odisha to reclaim ISL top spot
- Movies Bigg Boss 13 Day 122 Synopsis: Vikas Gupta And Shefali Jariwala Enter The House Once Again!
- News 'Entry of woman into mosque for Namaz is permitted in Islam': Muslim board to SC
- Technology Samsung Galaxy A51 With Quad Rear Cameras Launched For Rs. 23,999
- Finance All Indian Railway Coaches, Wagons To Be Tagged With RFID For Tracking By 2021
- Travel 10 Best Places To Visit In Madhya Pradesh In 2020
- Automobiles Toyota Fortuner BS6 Petrol And Diesel Engine Specifications Revealed
- Education IIM Bangalore Women In Leadership Course Tanmatra
We all have heard about a character called 'kumbhakarna' in Ramayana who used to sleep for six months and for rest of the six months he would remain awake eating anything and everything that he found.
However, do you know the reasons why Kumbhakarna used to sleep for six months continously? Well, we shall brief you about this story today.
Kumbhakarna was the younger brother of Ravana. Though he had a gigantic look, it is said that he was intelligent and good by heart.
To be precise, during the war between Lord Rama and Ravana, Ravana being the elder brother asked Kumbhakarna to help him win over Lord Rama.
But when Ravana explained the situation to his younger brother, Kumbhakarna tried to convince his brother Ravana that what he was doing was wrong. When Ravana did not listen to the advice, with an obligation of being his brother, Kumbhakarna stood by Ravana to fight against Rama.
It is also believed that Kumbhakarna used to eat the sages and rishi munis too. No matter what he ate, nothing could supress his hunger.
So, let's now read more on why Kumbhakarna slept for six months straight.
Though Indra was the leader of the devas, he was jealous of Kumbhakarna, as he was very intelligent and brave. So, Indra was waiting for the right time to take revenge over Kumbhakarna.
Yagna And Yaga:
The three brothers Ravana, Kumbhakarna and Vibhishana performed yagna and yaga to please the lord Brahma.
Boon Or Curse:
When Brahma was pleased with their prayers, he asked Kumbhakarna what he wanted. All the brothers were happy and then instead of asking for 'IndrAsana' that is the throne of Indra, Kumbhakarna asked for 'NidrAsana' that is a sleeping bed.
When Kumbhakarna said NidrAsana instead of IndrAsana, he realised he was dazed by what he had told. By the time he could realise the mistake, Brahma had already said 'asthu', which means the boon is granted. Though he asked Brahma not to consider this wish, Brahma could not undo his grant.
As it was known that Indra was jealous of Kumbhakarna, it is said that Indra himself requested Devi Saraswati to make Kumbhakarna tell 'NidrAsana' instead of 'IndrAsana'.
From then on Kumbhakarna slept for 6 months and stayed awake for the next 6 months and ate whatever he could find around to supress his hunger.