For many, astrology is a complex subject. Yes, it is, but not as complicated as people think. As a practising astrologer and self-learner in astrology, I also have met with difficulties in grasping the basic calculations.
I remember my schooldays, those days astrology's technology version was not available. It all depended on manual calculations. I still remember how much I was surprised when I first looked at Panchang/Ephemeris. Now, the calculations are easier. You have to simply enter the details into a software program and your entire life is at your fingertips.
For those who feel astrology is a tough and alien subject, I will teach you how to analyze certain areas of your life, so that you can understand your cosmic programming. Before that certain basic lessons, you must understand.
Vedic astrology is totally based on 9 planets. They are the Sun, Moon, Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Rahu and Ketu. Among that Rahu and Ketu are seen as shadow planets. These planets are just indicators of various energies.
Sun is a fiery planet and it indicates power, government, authority, father, rulers, power, your soul, and purity
Moon is a watery planet and it indicates your mother, female figures in your life, luxury, comfort, your emotional stability, and peace.
Mercury is an airy planet and it shows emotional intelligence, communication, media, writing, ability, oral skills, your interpersonal skills, and your reasoning ability.
Venus is not a strange planet for anyone, it can be the most popular planet, since it rules love, sex, emotional frequencies, luxury, relationships and spouse.
Mars is a fiery planet and it indicates Soldier, vigour, valour, brother, and brotherly figures, your energy level and your competitive mentality.
Jupiter is the planet of magnification. It is shown that wherever Jupiter is placed, you will have more and more desires to attain the features of that house. It indicates divine wisdom, gurus, mentors, higher studies, adventure, and spirituality.
Saturn is, of course, most hated among Indians, as it is misunderstood as a planet which brings misery, but actually not. When we study astrology in-depth, we will come to know that Saturn is out there to bring us revelations.
Rahu is an aggressive planet and it shows unending passion for the features of the house which it is placed.
Ketu is the planet which indicates moksha and spirituality.
This is the mini description about the planets and next comes the mini detailing about the houses in astrology.
As you know, an astrology chart has 12 sections (houses) and each section denotes various sectors of your life.
1. Self, personality, attitude, health, vitality, ambition and perspective.
2. Money, material possessions, family, speech, and self-worth
3. Short travels, short courses, media, communication, technology, siblings, writing, and editing.
4. Home, family, ancestors, parents and ancestral property.
5. Romance, entertainment, fun, children, youth groups, creativity, self-promotion and speculative business.
6. Work, colleagues, health, debts, responsibilities and pets.
7. Spouse, marriage, personal and professional relations, agreements, contracts and open enemies
8. Sex, crisis, investments, finances, taxes, insurances, partnerships and loans.
9. Foreign travels, foreign relations, higher studies, teaching, publishing, spirituality, and philosophy.
10. Career, social status, bosses, authority, and ambitions.
11. Friendships, collective projects, long-term associations, children, youth groups, hopes, wishes, and gains.
12. Hidden fears, emotions. Psyche, isolation, seclusion, long-distance travels spirituality and charity.
So, this is the crispest information about basic astrology. There are 9 planets and they indicate few things. Astrology chart has 12 divisions and these divisions are called houses. These houses signify different features of your life.
Now, let's look at how you can get clear analysis on few areas of your life.
I am taking you to the Jaimini school of astrology. The founder of this school is Sage Jaimini.
According to this school, various areas of our life has few indicators. These indicators are known as Karkas. They are known as Jaimini Karakas .
1. The atma karaka (the indicator of self);
2. The amatya karaka (the indicator of career);
3. The bhatru karaka (the indicator of siblings and father);
4. The matru karaka (the indicator of mother and education);
5. The putra karaka (the indicator of children, intelligence, and creativity);
6. The gnati karaka (the indicator of strife, disease, and spiritual sadhana);
7. Dara karaka, the indicator of marriage (and partnerships in general).
How To Find These Karkas
When you take an astrology report, these days so many softwares are available that too free, you will get a planetary table report. You can see the degrees of the planet.
In Jaimini Karakas, Rahu and Ketu are not included. Look at that planetary table and arrange the planets in descending order. Keep the planet with the highest degree on the 1st position. Then the planet with a second highest degree in the 2nd place. Likewise, choose 7 planets in this order.
Then name the planets in descending order like this
1. AtmaKaraka - Soul
2. AmatyaKaraka - career
3. Bhratru Karaka - siblings/father
4. Matru Karaka - mother
5. Putrakaraka - children
6. Gnati Karaka - struggles
7. Darakaraka - spouse/partners in same sex relation
You just look at these planets and you can draw a lot of information about these factors from your chart.
If you want to check in what your soul rejoices, then look at the Atmakaraka, and in which house the planet is placed in. Despite the evil aspects or weak or strong placement (these are complex calculations in astrology), you will get more satisfaction in life when you start being righteous in the matters of that house.
Likewise, you check all the Karakas and which house these planets are placed. Find how much satisfaction you have these features in your life. If you have less happiness from these areas, then you are getting the signals that either you are wrong so far in dealing with these areas or you have to change your strategies.
Or it has another meaning that you have karmic default settings and dependence on a Cosmic Man only can help you change this setting. You are gifted with free will and use that to improve these matters. Righteousness always wins.