- 26 min ago Special Cactus Recipe: How To Prepare Indian Style Cactus Fry
- 3 hrs ago Daily Horoscope, 28 May 2022: Today's Horoscope Predictions For All Zodiac Signs
- 10 hrs ago Pre-Shave Oil For The Smoothest Beard Finish: How To Use
- 14 hrs ago Actress Kriti Sanon Is A Dream In Pink Ethnic Wear - See Pics!
- News PM Modiin Gujarat, to visit newly-built hospital, address Cooperative Conclave & more — Details
- Finance Ruchi Soya Gains Over 7% In Last 2 Days; Declares Dividend Of 250%
- Movies Pooja Bhatt Takes A Dig At Sameer Wankhede After Aryan Khan Gets A Clean Chit In Drugs Case
- Sports IPL 2023 Auction Date, Retention Rules, Remaining Purse, Teams List - All You Need To Know
- Technology Broadcom To Acquire VMware For $61 Billion; Third Largest Tech Deal In History
- Automobiles Top 10 Best Selling 6-seater/7-seater UVs In April 2022
- Education UPSC Prelims Exam On June 5, Important Topics To Be Revised Before CSE 2022
- Travel June 2022: Indian Festivals And Events Guide
Pioneering Black feminist author, educator and activist bell hooks has died at the age of 69. Her family issued a statement saying that hooks had passed away at her Berea home in Kentucky, United States, on Wednesday, December 15. Born Gloria Jean Watkins in 1952, in Hopkinsville, Kentucky, hooks gave herself the moniker in honor of her maternal great-grandmother, saying used lower case letters to avoid being directly confused with her.
"The family of Gloria Jean Watkins is deeply saddened at the passing of our beloved sister," sisters Gwenda Motley and Valeria Watkins said. hooks' work on how race, gender, economics and politics were intertwined made her one of the leading thinkers of her time.
Her first book of poems was published in 1978. hooks authored a total of 40 books that have been translated into 15 languages. Her books were pivotal in shaping popular and academic discourse. "Devoured her work, taught her work and she taught me so much," Maya Harris, an activist, author and the sister of US Vice President Kamala Harris said on Twitter. "An immeasurable legacy and teachings that will live on forever."
Ain't I a Woman? Black Women and Feminism, Feminist Theory: From Margin to Center and All About Love: New Visions, were some of her best known works.
hooks' definition of feminism which she called "a movement to end sexism, sexist exploitation," was one of her most popular expressions. Her work on racism, gender and other issues found new urgency during the 2020 racial justice protests that gripped the US, following the killings of George Floyd and Breonna Taylor.
"The family is honored that Gloria received numerous awards, honors and international fame for her works as poet, author, feminist, professor, cultural critic and social activist," her sisters said.
"We are proud to call her sister, friend, confidant and influencer."
The cause of her death was not immediately known. May she rest in peace.
dvv/msh (AP, Reuters)
- womenGerman Chancellor Angela Merkel: 'Yes, I Am A Feminist, We Should All Be Feminists'
- lgbtqSpecial Feature On Jewish-American Queer Author-Art Collector Gertrude Stein: Pioneer Of Modernism
- womenKamini Roy's 155th Birthday: Google Pays Tribute To The Indian Poet, Feminist And Activist
- womenRemembering Ismat Chughtai On Her 104th Birth Anniversary: Inspirational Quotes
- womenGoogle Doodle Celebrates 133rd Birth Anniversary Of Dr Muthulakshmi Reddi
- pulse5 Things Girls Hate About Indian Society
- pulse8 Feminist Women From Mythology
- pulseThe Famous Feminist Writers In India
- lifeFamous Women Feminist Authors and Writers
- love and romance5 Golden Rules For Dating A Feminist Woman
- love and romance5 Reasons To Beware Of Feminist Men
- pulseWhy Not Women In Religion?