- 1 hr ago Weekly Horoscope, 02 July To 09 July 2022, Check This Week Horoscope Prediction For All Zodiac Signs
- 3 hrs ago Daily Horoscope, 03 July 2022: Today's Horoscope Predictions For All Zodiac Signs
- 4 hrs ago Ashadha Gupt Navratri 2022 Day 4: Kushmanda Puja 2022 Date, Iconography, Rituals, And Mantra
- 13 hrs ago Ashadha Gupt Navratri 2022 Day 3: Maa Chandraghanta Puja Date, Mantra and Rituals, And Significance
- News Uddhav vs Shinde again: Maharashtra Assembly Speaker to be elected today
- Sports Wimbledon 2022, July 3 Order of Play and Schedule: Live Streaming in India and TV Channel List
- Movies Mose Chhal Kiye Jaaye: Vidhi Has No Qualms Playing Mom On TV; She's Glad Her Character Is Etched Differently
- Finance Gold Rates Increase Around Rs. 1350 In India In Past 2 Days: See Why?
- Travel Some Great Tips For Mothers Traveling With Infants And Children
- Automobiles India's 2nd Lamborghini Aventador Ultimae Roadster Delivered In Mumbai - Another Rare Fighting Bull Is Here
- Education AILET Result 2022 Declared At nationallawuniversitydelhi.in, Check Steps To Download Result Here
- Technology Xiaomi 12S Series To Get Eco-Friendly Leather Rear Panel; Expected Features, Specs
Bragging is a strict no-no if you you wish to attract possible romantic partners through online dating. Rather, present yourself as humble and "real," suggests a new research.
Braggers are often seen as arrogant or immodest; and highlighting your most favourable physical characteristics and personality traits while minimising negative information in the online profile can reduce the viewer's intention to contact and date you, the study said.
"Daters should strive to present themselves as humble, 'real' people," explained the authors, especially if their goal is to establish a long-term relationship based on trust.
In the study, the researchers studied how specific types of content in online dating profiles affect viewers' impressions of the profile owner and their intentions to act on what they have seen by contacting the profile owner for a date.
Crystal Wotipka and Andrew High of the University of Iowa asked 316 online daters what they thought of particular profiles.
Participants were presented with one of four sample online dating profiles that exhibited different types of content development by the profile owner.
The researchers looked specifically at the effects of two concepts namely selective-self presentation and warranting.
Selective self-presentation is people's ability to highlight the most flattering information to others.
In the context of online dating, where the goal is to attract a partner, people are motivated to present a lot of positive information about themselves while minimising negative information; or in other words, to brag a little.
People can "warrant" their online dating profiles by providing access to corroborating sites, for example, a link to a professional biography page or the name of a blog to which they regularly contribute, the authors explained.
The authors found that viewers judged people who were perceived as overly bragging about themselves, their looks or their accomplishments as less trustworthy and less socially attractive, thereby lessening viewer's intentions to date or contact those profile owners.
The findings were published in the journal 'Communication Monographs'.
Inputs from IANS
- love and romance6 Signs It’s Time To Meet Your Online Dating Partner
- beyond loveWhat Is Benching? Here's All You Need To Know About This New Dating Term
- beyond love7 Signs That Tell If He Isn’t Interested In A Second Date With You
- love and romanceLadies, Here Are 7 Reasons Why You Should Ask A Man Out
- love and romanceDating A Loner? Here Are A Few Things That You Need To Know
- beyond love16 Things That Men May Not Care About In Relationship
- beyond loveWomaniser Alert! 9 Telltale Signs You Are Dating One
- men6 Reasons Why Women Like Men Who Have Pets
- love and romance10 Obvious Signs That Tell Your Girlfriend Is The One You Should Marry
- beyond loveNot Having A Girlfriend? Here Are The 11 Possible Reasons Behind It
- life10 Obvious Signs That Tell You Are A Hardcore Daydreamer
- beyond love7 Things That You Can’t Control In Your Relationship