Gratin dauphinois is a traditional regional French dish based on potatoes and crème fraîche, from the historic Dauphiné region in south-east France. It is a very popular dish there. Here is a very easy recipe from one of my friend who has been to France and learnt this recipe there. We both tried this recipe here and were successful in replicating the same.
Recipe By: Pooja Gupta
Recipe Type: Main course
Butter for greasing
Semi-skimmed milk - ½ litre
Pot double cream - 1 cup
Garlic cloves, bashed - 2
Vegetable oil - 1 tbsp
Smoked bacon lardons - 1 ½ cup
Large potatoes, thinly sliced - 1 kg
Cheddar (grated) - ½ cup
Parmesan (grated) - ½ cup
Gruyère (cubed) - ½ cup
Heat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4.
Grease a shallow baking dish with butter (I used a 20 x 30cm dish).
Pour the milk and cream into a large saucepan.
Add the garlic, tip in the potatoes and bring to the boil.
Remove from the heat to let the garlic infuse and the potatoes cool a little while you cook the bacon.
Heat the oil in a frying pan and add the lardons.
Cook on a low-medium heat for 10 mins until they are turning crispy.
Using a slotted spoon, start layering the potatoes onto the base of the dish until completely covered (remove the garlic cloves when you spot them).
Spoon over some of the cream mixture, a little cheddar, Parmesan and Gruyère, and scatter on some of the bacon.
Season well and repeat until you have used up all the potato.
Pour over any remaining cream and scatter with the remaining cheese.
Reserve some of the bacon for topping later.
Cover with foil and cook in the oven for 1 hour.
Remove the foil and cook for a further 30 minutes until the potatoes are cooked through and the topping is golden.
Scatter with the remaining bacon for the final 5 minutes of cooking.
- Insert a skewer or knife and check there is no resistance and if the pie is cooked.
- Serving Size - 1 piece
- Calories - 637 cal
- Fat - 48g
- Protein - 20g
- Carbohydrates - 30g
- Sugar - 6g
- Dietary Fiber - 3g
- Food Combinations That Are Poisonous
- 10 Worst Healthy Foods To Avoid
- Guilty Pleasure Foods That Are Actually Good For Your Health
- Side Effects Of Bacon For Babies
- 7 Reasons Why Bacon Is Unhealthy
- Six Best Places For Bacon In Bangalore You Have To Try
- Nicoise Salad Recipe: How To Prepare Classic French Nicoise Salad
- Brie Tempura Recipe: How To Prepare Tempura Brie Cheese
- Potage Parmentier Recipe: Classic French Potato And Leek Soup
- How To Do French Manicure At Home?
- Want To Have A Flat Tummy? Follow This French Diet!
- Fancy Styles That You Can Try With Your French Manicure