- 21 min ago Tokyo Olympics 2020: Lovlina Borgohain Seals India's First Boxing Medal At Tokyo; Know More
- 43 min ago Friendship Day: Skincare Tips For A Day Out With Your Besties On Video Chat
- 1 hr ago FDCI Announces India Couture Week (ICW) 2021 Dates And List Of Designers Showcasing
- 17 hrs ago Food Combinations That Are Bad For Your Kid's Health
- Sports Tokyo Olympics: India shooters Anjum, Tejaswini fail to enter 50M Rifle 3 Positions final
- Education Tripura Board Result 2021: Tripura Board Class 10th 12th Result 2021 To Be Declared Today. Here’s How To Check
- Finance LIC Cards Services Limited & IDBI Bank To Launch Two New RuPay Credit Cards: Details Inside
- News Fake case filed against Nambi Narayanan at behest of ISI to stall ISRO’s cryogenic engine tech: CBI
- Movies Kangana Ranaut Is A Visual Delight In Green In Her Latest Post, Drops An Urdu Shayari
- Automobiles BGauss New Electric Two-Wheelers India Launch In 2021 — Will Be Made In India
- Technology LPDDR5X Vs LPDDR5 In-Depth Comparision: What's The Difference?
- Travel Best Places To Visit In Tripura In August
Hair loss is a common problem faced by women post-pregnancy. During pregnancy, hormones like estrogen, oxytocin, progesterone and prolactin spikes in the body, helping to make hair thick and healthy. However, after delivery, the level of these hormones, except prolactin, lowers down, resulting in unusual hair fall.
Another reason is lowering of blood volume which is high during the pregnancy but drops gradually in a few weeks after delivery. The drop in blood volume is also held responsible for hair loss after pregnancy.
In this article, we will discuss some effective ideas to treat post-pregnancy hair loss. Take a look. Also, it is advised to consult a medical expert before starting these remedies.
1. Healthy diet
A well-balanced diet is important to keep hair roots strong. Include more fruits and vegetables in your diet. This will provide enough vitamins, minerals and many other nutrients which are needed to volumise and strengthen the hair. Also, consider foods that contain a high amount of antioxidants and flavonoids.
2. Prenatal vitamins
Vitamins (especially vitamin A) are important micronutrients that help in the normal hair follicle cycle and immune cell functions. As many women tend to stop their prenatal vitamins after delivery, it may contribute to hair fall. Therefore, it is recommended to continue taking prenatal vitamins for a few more months to prevent its deficiency and manage hair fall. 
After having a baby, women may face stress or anxieties due to factors such as extra household works, financial problems, official workload and many others. This may impact their hair growth and cause hair to fall. It is advised to unwind yourself by practising relaxation techniques like yoga or meditation. This helps balance hormone levels and prevent hair fall. 
4. Stay hydrated
Severe dehydration can make hair thin, dry and brittle and cause hair fall. After having a baby, due to excess workload, women usually miss out on drinking enough water required by the body. This makes the scalp dry and causes hair fall. It is recommended to drink at least eight glasses of water a day. Water is also important for the production of breast milk.
5. Home remedies
Home remedies have many purposes, especially in cosmetics and pharmaceuticals. In a study carried out on 41 plants for the treatment of scalp and hair disorders, many were found effective. These plants mainly belong to the family of Apiaceae, Lamiaceae and Rosaceae. Other natural products included in the study were made of honey, fish oil, yoghurt, kerosene and mustard. 
6. Oil massage
Oil massage helps in boosting blood circulation to deep layers of the scalp, maintains the scalp moisture, reverse the damage by chemicals, strengthen roots and hence, promote hair growth. Use herbal oils like peppermint oil, lavender oil, thyme oil, bergamot oil, tea tree oil and jojoba oil. Also, opt for market-based shampoos and conditioners that consist of these oils or herbs. 
7. Personal care
Personal care for hair is equally important as other ways for healthy hair growth. Avoid hairstyles such as tight braids, cornrows, weaves or tight rollers that pull or stretch your hair. Avoid combing hair when wet or if it is necessary, remember to use a wide teethed comb. Select herbal shampoos and conditioners or those with mild chemicals.
8. Make hair short
Making hair short depends on the personal choice of women. However, shortening hair a few inches can help you manage them well and give proper care and treatments. Also, it may allow you to style faster while you are busy with your baby.
1. How long does your hair fall out after having a baby?
Post-pregnancy hair fall is temporary. As the hormonal levels drop after having a baby and blood volume lowers, making changes occur in the body, including hair loss. However, they get back to normal within 3-6 months or a year.
2. Can you go bald from postpartum hair loss?
The answer is no. Total hair loss after pregnancy is rare. This is because multiple factors like genetics, medications, radiation, medical conditions, hairstyles and life trauma are responsible for hair loss, or a combination of these factors.
3. What vitamins help postpartum hair loss?
Vitamin A is considered vital to prevent hair loss post-pregnancy. This essential vitamin helps in strengthening hair roots and provide deep nourishment that helps in the growth of healthy hair.