- 4 hrs ago 6 Tips To Reduce Hair Damage If You Use Straighteners Often
- 7 hrs ago Gorgeous Sara Ali Khan Looks Charming In Her New Saree, See Her Latest Picture!
- 7 hrs ago Corbevax Will Be Allowed As A Booster For Those Fully Vaccinated With Covishield Or Covaxin
- 8 hrs ago Monsoon Deals On Kitchen Essentials: Up To 52% Off On Coffee Maker, Water Purifier, Dinner Set And More
- News Maha crisis: SC to pronounce verdict on Shiv Sena plea at 9 pm
- Sports National Games will be held in Gujarat in Sept-Oct this year: IOA
- Technology BSNL Rs. 228, Rs. 239 Monthly Recharge Plans Launched
- Education TS SSC Result 2022 Date And Time, Steps To Check BSE Telangana TS 10th Results On bse.telangana.gov.in
- Finance Man Was Paid 286 Times His Salary Accidently, See What He Does Next?
- Movies Vidyut Jammwal On South Vs North Debate: I Just Do Not See The Difference At All
- Travel Simple Train Travel hacks For Comfortable Experience
- Automobiles Hero Xpulse 200 4V Rally Edition Details Leaked
Glaucoma is an irreversible cause of blindness in children. The prevalence of primary congenital glaucoma (PCG)is one in 3,300 live births, and PCG accounts for 4.2% of all childhood blindness in the Indian population. This has a very major impact on the quality of life, and also, since life expectancy is more, one has to endure more years of suffering.
PCG can occur in newborns (that is true congenital seen at birth or intrauterine), infantile (less than 3 years) or Juvenile glaucoma (10-35 years). Secondary glaucoma can be due to other ocular anomalies like trauma, infection, inflammation, steroid use, small eyes (nanophthalmos), or systemic problems like Sturge-Weber's syndrome. The genetic pattern of PCG is 10% autosomal recessive and 90% sporadic. Mostly seen in boys and is usually bilateral.
PCG presents with a triad of symptoms:
- Epiphora or excessive watering of eyes.
- Photophobia or inability to see in the light.
- Blepharospasm or closure of eyes tightly. Parents may give a history of eye rubbing.
The presentation also can be with a Bull's eye or buphthalmos is when the cornea is enlarged and become hazy due to raised pressure in the eye. A good ocular examination by a trained ophthalmologist should be sought at the earliest in case of any of these symptoms.
As most say prevention is better than cure, it can be prevented to a certain degree by mother's getting fully vaccinated, especially rubella prior to pregnancy. Also, avoid teratogenic drugs and drug abuse during pregnancy.
Most of these children have to be examined under general anaesthesia for intraocular pressure, corneal diameter, retinoscopy, ophthalmoscopy and gonioscopy. Depending upon the severity of involvement, the management varies, which is mostly surgical. Initially, medical treatment is used to lower intraocular pressure by using hyperosmotic agents, beta-blockers, carbonic anhydrase inhibitors. At the same time, miotics and alpha agonists are contraindicated in PCG.
Surgery can be:
(1) Incisional surgery such as Goniotomy (possible only if the cornea is clear and
(2) Filtration surgeries are Trabeculectomy with adjunctive antimetabolites. The best standard surgical procedure is primary combined Trabeculotomy and Trabeculectomy with antimetabolites in PCG.
(3) Glaucoma drainage devices are the last resort. It can be a Baerveldt, AADI or Ahmed glaucoma valve.
- zodiac signsJuly Born: Health, Interesting Qualities, And Compatibility With Other Other Zodiac Signs
- wellnessExpert Article: Your Genes And Cancer Risk
- wellnessDCGI Approves India's First qHPV Vaccine Against Cervical Cancer
- wellnessFirst Time In History: Cancer In All Patients Vanishes During US Drug Trial - Details
- wellnessMasked Cancer Drug Stealthily Trains Immune System To Kill Tumours While Sparing Healthy Tissues
- wellnessExpert Article: Quit Smoking To Reduce Your Risk Of Tongue Cancer
- disorders cureScientists Discover Cell Protein That Keeps Kaposi's Sarcoma Herpesvirus Dormant: All About The Cancer Type
- wellnessBacteria In Urine May Signal Aggressive Prostate Cancer: Study
- wellnessHCG Cancer Hospital Offers India’s First Extended Reality Lab Using Microsoft HoloLens 2
- wellnessExpert Article: Exploring The World Health Day 2022 Theme Through An Ayurveda Perspective
- kidsExpert Article: Bone Marrow Transplant To Treat Challenging Childhood Leukaemia
- disorders cure14 Health Conditions That Can Change One's Personality Dramatically