- 3 hrs ago Children Inherit Intelligence Mainly From Their Mothers: How Far Is It True?
- 5 hrs ago Single Foster Dad Adopts Five Children To Ensure They Stay United As A Family
- 6 hrs ago Indian Festival Of Holi In Germany: The Colourful Summer Party
- 8 hrs ago Guru Hargobind Singh Birth Anniversary 2022: Interesting Facts About The Sixth Guru Of The Sikhs
- Automobiles Hyundai Teases New N Concept & Ioniq 5 N Ahead Of July 15 Debut
- News Indian language journalism played key role in freedom struggle, development journey: PM
- Sports Wimbledon 2022: Simona Halep halts Amanda Anisimova to reach semifinals on grass court again
- Movies Rhea Chakraborty To Make Her Acting Debut In Bengali Film Industry: Report
- Education TBSE 10th, 12th Result 2022 Declared At tbresults.tripura.gov.in, Check Tripura Madhyamik, HS Result
- Finance This Maharatna Stock Fixes Record Date For Final Dividend - Should You Buy?
- Technology Asus ROG Phone 6 India Price Analysis: Is It Really Expensive?
- Travel Great Barrier Reef: Planet's Natural Ornaments
A study published in The Lancet Child and Adolescent Health journal on Thursday shows that children infected with the SARS-CoV-2 virus may experience symptoms of long-term COVID lasting at least two months .
Approximately 46 per cent of children who contract COVID-19 may suffer from long COVID symptoms for at least two months following the infection, according to the largest study of long COVID symptoms among children aged 0-14.
Long-COVID In Children Aged 0-14: Everything You Need To Know
In general, the study aimed to determine the prevalence of long-lasting symptoms among children and infants, as well as their quality of life and absence from school or day-care. Further research into the long-term effects of the pandemic on all children will be necessary for the future.
Here are the study findings:
- A national-level sample of Danish children with Covid positivity was matched with a control group of children without any prior history of infection .
- Researchers have found that most previous studies of long-term cognitive development in young people have focused on adolescents, with infants and toddlers rarely represented.
- In the survey, participants were asked about the 23 most common symptoms of long-term infections in children, and the World Health Organization definition of long-term infections is symptoms lasting more than two months .
- In the 0-3 years age group, 40 per cent of children diagnosed with COVID-19 (478 out of 1,194 children) reported symptoms for at least two months; in the 4-11 age group, 38 per cent; and in the 12-14 age group, 46 per cent.
- Among children ages 0-3 years old, mood swings, rashes, and stomachaches were the most commonly reported symptoms.
- Among children ages 4-11, mood swings, difficulty remembering or concentrating, and rashes were the most commonly reported symptoms.
- For 12-14-year-olds, fatigue, mood swings, and difficulty remembering or concentrating rank among the most common symptoms.
- Otherwise, healthy children experience many of the non-specific symptoms associated with COVID-19; headaches, mood swings, abdominal pain, and fatigue are all symptoms of common ailments experienced by children without any relation to COVID-19 .
- Furthermore, the proportion of children with these symptoms tends to decrease with increasing duration of symptoms.
- It was found that children with positive COVID-19 diagnoses were more likely to experience long-term symptoms than children who had not had a positive diagnosis, indicating that these symptoms were the result of long-term COVID.
On A Final Note...
Experts, however, maintain that children are most likely to suffer from a mild form of the disease.
- wellnessLong Covid-19 Risk Less With Omicron Than Delta Variant, UK Study Finds
- wellnessCovid-19 Infection May Induce Severe Bone Loss, Animal Study Suggests
- wellnessEven Vaccinated People Can Develop Long Covid, Study Finds
- wellnessPost-COVID Fatigue Is More Than Just Tiredness; Could It Be Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Or Long COVID?
- disorders cureLung Abnormalities Found In Long COVID Patients With Breathlessness: Study
- healthOmicron Natural Vaccine? Experts Call Notion Dangerous, Say Doesn’t Take Long Covid Into Account
- healthLong Covid May Not Be As Fatal As Acute COVID-19 But Can Worsen Existing Ailments, Say Experts
- healthOrthopedist Explains Symptoms And Gives Advice On Long COVID-19
- disorders cureCOVID-19: What Is Long COVID? Most Common Post-COVID Symptoms And How To Manage It
- wellnessMajority Of Patients Who Have Recovered From Covid Experienced Stigma: Study
- wellnessWhat Is The Viral Social Media Claim Regarding 'Aphelion Phenomenon'? Can Aphelion Really Affect Your Health?
- wellnessNiti Aayog Releases Compendium Of Ayush Practices To Manage Covid-19