- 4 hrs ago Born In August: What Does Your Personality Trait Say About You?
- 5 hrs ago Maharashtra: Thane Records 978 New Covid-19 Cases; Active Tally At 5,634
- 6 hrs ago India Emerged Successfully In The Management Of Covid-19 Pandemic: Mansukh Mandaviya
- 6 hrs ago Mercury Transit In Gemini On 02 July 2022: Impact On Zodiac Signs And Remedies
- News BJP's Ghanshyam Lodhi wrests Rampur LS seat from SP
- Finance AMCs Prepare To Launch New Mutual Fund Schemes From Next Month As Sebi Restriction Nears End
- Movies YouTuber Ashish Chanchlani Approached For Salman Khan’s Bigg Boss 16? Details Inside
- Sports Ranji Trophy 2022: Full List of Award Winners, Prize Money and Records
- Education SBI CBO Final Result 2022 Released, Download SBI Circle Based Officer 2022 Final Result PDF At sbi.co.in
- Technology Week 25, 2022 Launch Roundup: Samsung Galaxy F13, Tecno POVA 3, POCO X4 GT, iQOO U5e, Xiaomi Book S, And More
- Automobiles Ford India Extends Production At Its Chennai Facility Amidst Protest
- Travel 5 Best Easy Long Weekend Getaways From Delhi
Novavax's Covid-19 vaccine named Covovax received emergency use authorization from the Drugs Controller General of India (DCGI) on Tuesday for adolescents aged 12 to 17 years in India.
According to Novavax, the vaccine, also known as NVX-CoV2373, is developed and marketed in India by the Serum Institute of India (SII) under the brand name Covovax and is the country's first protein-based vaccination approved for use in this age group.
Is Covovax Effective For The 12-17 Age Group?
In a late-stage trial testing of the vaccine that involves 2,247 youths aged 12 to 17, Covovax has proven to be 80 per cent effective against COVID-19.
"We're proud of this first approval in adolescents given the efficacy and safety that our data show in this population and that our COVID-19 vaccine will provide an alternative protein-based vaccine option for individuals 12 years of age and older in India," said Stanley C Erck, President and Chief Executive Officer, Novavax.
"The approval of Covovax for adolescents 12 and older in India marks another significant milestone in strengthening our immunization efforts across India and LMICs," said Adar Poonawalla, Chief Executive Officer, Serum Institute of India.
"We are proud to deliver a protein-based COVID-19 vaccine with a favourable safety profile to the adolescents of our nation," he added.
The Fourth Approved COVID-19 Vaccine
After Biological E's Corbevax, Zydus Cadila's ZyCoV-D, and Bharat Biotech's Covaxin, Covovax is the fourth COVID-19 vaccine to be approved in India for adolescents aged 12 and up.
The DCGI had already approved Covovax emergency use permission for adults aged 18 and up in December. The World Health Organization has also given Covovax an Emergency Use Listing (EUL).
- wellnessGovt Panel Recommends Emergency Approval For SII's Covovax For 7-11 Year Olds
- kidsDCGI Panel To Review On Friday SII Applications For Covovax’s Use Among Kids Aged 2-7 Yrs, 7-11 Yrs
- kidsSerum Institute Seeks Covovax's Inclusion In Covid Vaccination Drive For 12 Years And Over
- wellnessDCGI Grants Emergency Use Authorisation To Covovax For 12-17 Years Age Group; Younger Age Groups To Follow
- wellnessGovt Panel Recommends Permission For Phase-3 Trial Of Covovax As Booster Dose In Adults
- wellnessSII Seeks Permission For Phase-3 Study Of Covid Vaccine Covovax As Booster Dose In Adults
- healthIndia-US Healthcare Collaboration In Spotlight As India Approves Two More Covid-19 Vaccines
- healthCovovax Better Booster For Covishield-Vaccinated People: Dr Shahid Jameel, Virologist
- wellnessCovovax: Everything You Need To Know About The Novavax COVID-19 Vaccine Approved For India
- healthCovovax Approval To Strengthen Immunisation Efforts In India, Lower & Middle-Income Countries: SII
- healthPanel Recommends EUA For Covid-19 Vaccines Covovax, Corbevax And Anti-Covid Pill Molnupiravir
- healthSerum Institute CEO Hails WHO's Approval Of Covovax For Emergency Use