Surrogacy is the new trend that is catching upon in many celebrities in Bollywood. From Tushar Kapoor, Shah Rukh Khan, Aamir Khan to Karan Johar, everybody has turned to surrogates to expand their families.
The next in line is Sunny Leone who started her acting career into Bollywood. She just announced the birth of her twins through surrogacy, expressing joy. She took to social media and expressed her excitement about the newly born twin Webers - Asher and Noah.
What Is Surrogacy?
It is the term used when a couple wants a baby but is unable to have one, because either of the parents or both parents are medically unfit to conceive. The process of surrogacy is done by implanting the father's sperm inside another woman. The surrogate mother then carries the child for 9 months and then delivers it for the couple. This is the traditional surrogacy method.
There is another form of surrogacy called gestational surrogacy, where the eggs from the mother are fertilised with the father's sperm and then the embryo is placed into the uterus of the surrogate mother. She then carries the baby and delivers it to the couple. In this case, the woman has her own biological child because her eggs are used.
Why Are Couples Opting For Surrogacy?
There are many reasons why today a lot of couples are opting for surrogacy, especially in the entertainment industry. This could be due to aesthetic reasons or simply due to lack of time. The following medical conditions include:
- Infection in the womb
- Absence or removal of womb by hysterectomy
- Recurring miscarriages
- Repeated failure of IVF
- Other health conditions like poor heart health or heart disease of the mother
How To Choose A Surrogate Mother?
Choosing a surrogate is a vital decision for a couple. You might want the surrogate mother to be healthy and fit; but apart from that it is necessary to look into other things too. To find your ideal surrogate, it's important that you keep certain things in mind.
- The age of the surrogate mother should be between 21 and 40.
- Any woman cannot rent her womb more than three times.
- The surrogate mother should have a check-up, which includes heart health, sugar levels, history of any hereditary diseases, etc.
- The mental health history should also be taken into notice.
- A surrogate should have already given birth to one healthy baby before.
What Is The Legal Status Of Surrogacy In India?
Well, after the Surrogacy Regulation Bill was passed in 2016, it has become legal in India. First, the bill prohibits foreigners, single parents, couples of the same sex, unmarried couples from opting for altruistic surrogacy.
Only Indian couples who have been legally married for five years or more are allowed to opt for surrogacy.
Share this article!
If you liked reading this article, share it with your close ones.
ALSO READ: 10 Foods Rich In Chromium You Should Know
TRENDING ON ONEINDIA
- Shivakumara Swamiji No More — CM Declares Holiday
- India's Richest Got Richer By 39% In 2018 While The Poorest Saw Just 3% Rise
- WhatsApp Limits Message-Forwarding To Five Chats
- URI Enters 100 Crore Club; To Be Remade In Three Languages
- 2019 Yamaha FZ & FZ-S V3.0 Models Launched In India
- MS Dhoni Has A Chance To Break This Sachin Tendulkar Record In New Zealand
- Hodal — Your Ultimate Guide To Haryana's Least Explored Part
- Madhuri Dixit Nene Has A Pretty Humble Office Wear Idea For Us