TRENDING ON ONEINDIA
- How The Phone Calls And Explosives Clearly Link Pulwama Attack To Pakistan
- Mahindra XUV300 Electric S210 Promises A Range Of 400km — Details Out!
- IPL 2019 Schedule — Chennai Super Kings Take On Royal Challengers Bangalore In Season Opener On March 23rd
- Samsung Galaxy S10+ Tipped To Launch In Ceramic Black: Price And Specs
- Here's Portal To Apply For Education Loan At Multiple Banks
- Indian Fests In March — A 2019 Must-Visit Checklist
- Madhu Chopra Reacts To Priyanka's 'Baby Bump' Photos!
- Kangana Ranaut Convinces Us To Make Sari An Everyday Wear With This Humble Sari
A mother is calling her newborn a 'miracle baby' after it grew outside her womb and was delivered successfully in pioneering British operation.
In a routine ultra-sound scan, Jayne Jones discovered that she was 27 weeks' pregnant and her baby was growing in her abdomen, on the omentum the layers of fat that cover the bowel.
Almost all such foetuses die within weeks, even days, of conception and only one similar case has ever been reported in Britain.
Ten days after the scan Jones was rushed to Derriford Hospital, Plymouth by her husband Graham because she had collapsed in pain.
She had to have groundbreaking surgery that had never been done before in Britain and involved 36 NHS staff.
Billy was born weighing 2lb 2oz on April 19 and immediately put in an incubator - where he was kept warm inside a plastic bag.
"He was so tiny. He was in a little resealable sandwich bag to keep his temperature up. They told me that, for all the millions spent on the NICU, what's made the biggest difference to survival rates are Tesco resealable sandwich bags," the Telegraph quoted Jones, as saying.
"He's our little miracle baby. That's what they called him at the hospital – a miracle, Billy the Whizz," she added.
However, the birth was also dangerous for the mother.
Jones had a one in five chance of dying in childbirth and was placed in a High Dependency Unit after the birth.
She still may need another operation to remove the baby,bowel,child birth,foetus,incubator,miracles,placenta,pregnancy,sandwiches,womb that was left in her body but doctors hope that it will shrink inside her and be absorbed by the body.