- 1 hr ago What The--! Thousands Of Penis Fishes Found On California Beach
- 1 hr ago Scientists Develop Once-a-month Contraceptive Pill, Human Trials To Be Done Soon
- 1 hr ago A 78-Year-Old Pensioner Gets A Christmas Surprise And The Video Will Move You To Tears
- 2 hrs ago The Navy Officer’s Wife Vidya Raju Rescues 20 Kg Python, Video Goes Viral
- Sports U-17 women's tourney: India lose 0-3 to Sweden
- Movies Taimur Ali Khan Wants Two Birthday Cakes Reveals Mum Kareena Kapoor!
- News Pak criticises India for slamming PM Imran's comments on citizenship act
- Technology 4 Ways to Block Someone on Gmail
- Automobiles New 2020 Suzuki Hayabusa Launched In India: Priced At Rs 13.75 Lakh
- Finance Prince Pipes To Launch IPO On Dec 18
- Travel Tips To Have A Local Experience When Travelling Or Moving Overseas
- Education AIIMS BSc Nursing 2020 Registration Process Started
A new study published recently in the journal, Lancet Respiratory Medicine, shows that consuming vitamin D supplements can reduce the risk of severe asthma attacks in adults with mild to moderate asthma by almost 30%.
The research, conducted at the Queen Mary University of London, was designed to evaluate the immune-boosting effects of vitamin D (a finding that has been observed in many studies through the years).
Cheap Way to Treat Asthma
Asthma affects around 5.4 million people in Britain. And most of the deaths caused by it are due to upper respiratory tract infections.
So the purpose of this study was to find an inexpensive way to prevent a life-threatening asthma attack. Although the lead researcher cautioned people to not generalize the findings as they only evaluated adults with mild to moderate asthma for this study.
Will Sunlight Work Too?
While exposure to UVB rays of the sunlight is known to produce vitamin D in our body, only farmers are out in the Sun enough to reap these benefits.
Unfortunately, exposing yourself to sunlight for too long is a surefire way to get diagnosed with skin cancer. Therefore, vitamin D supplements are a great way to reap the benefits without putting yourself in harm's way.
While we do not recommend you self-medicate with vitamin D pills if you are an asthmatic (since that carries a high risk of developing hypervitaminosis D), consulting a doctor and keeping your vitamin D levels at their optimal level is always a great idea.
And if it ends up boosting your immunity and reducing the number of asthma attacks, then all the better.
Was This Article Useful?
If yes, please share it so others can read it too.