A recent research has found out that an anti-dengue antibody-based drug can protect the foetus from the deadly zika virus.
While conducting the experiments, the researchers also found that an antibody that protects against the dengue virus is also effective against the zika virus.
This antibody not only neutralises the dengue virus but also protects both adults and foetuses from the zika virus.
Antibodies are known to remain in the bloodstream for weeks, so one of a few doses of an antibody-based drug that is given over the course in a woman's pregnancy period, could help protect her foetus from zika. The bonus is, it also protects her from dengue.
Since dengue and zika are related viruses, the researchers said that an antibody that prevents dengue disease can do the same for zika.
In this article, we have listed some of the tips to prevent the zika virus. Read further to know more on how to prevent zika virus naturally.
1. Pick The Right Mosquito Repellent:
Products with active ingredients DEET, oil of lemon eucalyptus, picaridin or IR 3535 are effective against the virus. Using these will protect you against the harmful effects of the zika virus.
2. Apply It Correctly:
The repellent must be applied after the sunscreen. Don't wear the repellent under the clothes, as it can evaporate and accumulate on the fabric. Also, don't forget to spray it on your ankles and feet. Avoid spraying it on cuts and wounds.
3. Repel With Your Clothes:
The method to avoid mosquitoes is by using long pants and sleeves. If you're living in a zika affected zone, wear clothes that contain permethrin, which is a synthetic insecticide. This is one of the best tips to prevent zika virus. This will let you know how to prevent zika virus naturally.
4. Prep Your Home:
Just one spoon of water can serve as a mosquito breeding ground and produce up to 300 mosquitoes. You need to eliminate standing water in your home and the surrounding areas, including the flower pots, bottles and accumulated garbage.
5. Travel Smart:
The best way to avoid zika virus is to avoid infected areas. If you have to travel to an affected country, then stay in an air-conditioned room, sleep under bed nets and use a mosquito repellent at all times.
- One New Way To Fight Zika Virus
- Scientists Develop New Technology To Quickly Diagnose Zika Virus
- Are Mosquitoes Targeting You? Why Mosquitoes Bite Some People More Than Others?
- Antibody-Based Test May Differentiate Zika From Other Infections
- Interesting Facts About Ebola Virus You Didn't Know
- Everything You Need To Know About The Nipah Virus
- Home Remedies For Cold Sores Around Lips
- World Polio Day: Know About The Symptoms Of Different Types Of Polio
- Are You Flushing Your Toilet With The Lid Open? Here Is Why You Need To Stop Doing This - Says Study
- Hepatitis A: Causes & Preventive Measures
- How Is Zika Virus Diagnosed? Is There Any Treatment?
- Conjunctivitis: Home Remedies For Quick Relief