In what can be called a major breakthrough, scientists for the first time have developed a new antibody that can kill almost 99% of the HIV strains and even prevent its infection in primates.
This research was conducted by the US National Institute Of Health (NIH) in conjunction with the pharmaceutical firm Sanofi. They found out that this protein is capable of attacking 99% of the HIV strains.
The International AIDS Society has hailed this discovery to be an exciting breakthrough.
This protein, which is made up of three broadly neutralising antibodies, is said to be more effective than any other naturally occurring antibodies.
The researchers stated that this is known to be more potent and has greater breadth than any single naturally occurring antibody that has been discovered till date.
There has been an incredible advance in the fight against HIV over the last few decades.
The researchers are now planning to put these powerful antibodies to work in clinical trials, that is expected to get under way by 2018.
In this article, we have listed few of the ways to prevent HIV or AIDS. Do have a look and spread the word.
1. Use A Condom Every Time You Have An Intercourse:
If you don't know the HIV history of your partner, you need to use a new condom every time you have an intercourse. Women can use a female condom. This is one of the best methods to prevent HIV.
2. Consider The Drug Truvada:
Use of the combination drug emtricitabine-tenofovir (Truvada) can reduce the risk of sexually transmitted HIV infection in those who are at high risk. This is one of the best ways to prevent HIV or AIDS.
3. Tell Your Sexual Partners If You Have HIV:
It is important that you tell anybody that you have an intercourse with, that you have HIV. Your partner also needs to be tested and must receive treatment if found to be tested positive.
4. Make Sure To Use Only Sterile Needles:
If you use a needle to inject medicines, then make sure it's sterile and don't share it. Take advantage of a needle-exchange program in your community and consider seeking your doctor's help. This is one of the best known ways to prevent and control HIV infection.
5. If You're Pregnant, Get Medical Care Right Away:
If you're HIV positive, then you can pass the infection to your baby. But if you receive treatment during pregnancy, then you can cut your baby's risk significantly and hence it is a must to seek medical help in any case if you have been tested positive for HIV or AIDS.
- Genital Herpes Symptoms, Causes And Risk Factors
- HIV/ AIDS Can Cause Infertility- Finds Study
- Scientists Discover A New Way To Treat HIV
- Risk of Kidney & Heart Disease More In HIV Patients
- Research Finds The Reason For Spike In HIV & Hepatitis C
- Coffee Helps Reduce Mortality Risk In HIV & Hepatitis C Patients; 5 Other Ways To Prevent HIV
- Lung Cancer Risk Is High Among Smokers Ailing With HIV; Best Ways To Prevent Lung Cancer
- More Effective Way To Treat HIV Identified
- New Method To Track HIV Infection Developed
- Healthy Diet That People Living With HIV Should Follow
- Oral Sex; All That You Need To Know About The Health Risks Involved In It
- HIV-Preventing Vaginal Ring Found Safe For Girls: Study