- 8 hrs ago Diwali 2019: What Are Green Crackers And Why You Should Be Using Them
- 9 hrs ago Milk Allergy: Symptoms, Causes, Risk Factors, Diagnosis And Treatment
- 9 hrs ago What Is Carbon Peel Facial, Its Benefits And How Does It Work
- 10 hrs ago Sara Ali Khan And Rakul Preet Singh Give Us White Outfit Goals For The Upcoming Party
- Movies Gold Awards 2019 Winners Web Series: Sunny Leone, Kunal Jaisingh, Ronit Roy & Others Bag Awards
- News Soubhagya Routray, gets prestigious Doctorate for his 'work' on underprivileged children
- Technology ZTE Blade A7s, ZTE Blade 20 Smart Xiaoxin Edition Unveiled: Price, Specs And More
- Sports India Vs South Africa: Local boy Shahbaz Nadeem replaces injured Kuldeep Yadav for Ranchi Test
- Automobiles Odd-Even Rule Returns To Delhi In November: We Have All The Details
- Education 5 Things Students Should Know About MHRD Internship Scheme
- Travel Simple Tips & Tricks For Booking Cheap Flight Tickets In India
- Finance Rules On Vehicle Insurance Claims On Driving Under The Influence Of Alcohol
Cancer is one of the most deadly diseases affecting mankind. If not detected on time or if one fails to receive the correct treatment, then it can turn fatal as well.
When it comes to cancer treatment, chemotherapy is one of the major lines of treatment. But along with the disease, even the chemotherapy comes with certain side-effects. Damage to the nerves as well as severe hair fall and severe pain could be a few of the major side-effects of chemotherapy.
Well if you are a cancer patient undergoing chemotherapy then here is some good news. Researchers have successfully tested a new drug that is likely to prevent the development of a nerve damage caused due to chemotherapy in cancer patients.
According to the researchers about 30 to 40 percent of the cancer patients undergoing chemotherapy experience the neurological complication. The major symptoms that they have varies from tingling, numbness, weakness and pain from nerve damage, usually in the hands and feet.
Sometimes the pain and the side-effects becomes so unbearable that the patients tend to leave the treatment mid-way and succumb to the disease.
Details regarding the clinical trial for the drug was detailed in the journal Neurotherapeutics. As per the trial it was found that individuals who took the new drug demonstrated a decrease in the appearance of disorders associated with nerve dysfunction.
"The Phase 2b clinical trial (randomised with placebo) has allowed us to get a great deal of scientific information - effect on pain, pathophysiology - and draw conclusions as to the potential of the drug in the prevention of neuropathies during cytostatic treatment", said lead author Jordi Bruna from the varsity.
"This new drug could potentially reach the market soon, since it would be the first available treatment to avoid this type of neuropathy. In addition, it has other medical uses as a non-opioid analgesic."
Meanwhile, there are a few natural remedies that help to prevent the side-effects of chemotherapy. Take a look.
Take a small piece of ginger and chew it or you could also prepare ginger tea and drink. This helps in preventing nausea, vomiting and loss of appetite which are the major side-effects that one gets following chemotherapy session.
Foods Rich In Potassium:
The potassium from the body gets drained when you undergo chemotherapy, this is one of the reason why cancer patients tend to feel weak and fatigued following a chemotherapy. Hence, having foods rich in potassium like banana, avocado and prune juice is recommended.
Olive Leaves Extract:
Cancer patients undergoing chemotherapy will have a drop in their immunity level, hence it is important to build up their immune system. Extracts of olive leaf is considered as a good immunity booster especially for those undergoing chemotherapy.
(With Agency Inputs)