- 10 hrs ago Ileana D'Cruz, Tara Sutaria, And More Have Stunning Fashion Goals For Us
- 10 hrs ago 10 Best Quadriceps Exercises To Strengthen Your Thighs
- 10 hrs ago National Press Day 2019: Know What It Is And Why Is It Observed
- 11 hrs ago International Day Of Tolerance 2019: Know About The Date, History And Significance Of The Day
- News Jharkhand Polls: Cong fields Gourav Vallabh against CM Raghubar Das from Jamshedpur East
- Sports Afghanistan vs West Indies, 2nd T20I: Janat picks 5/11 as Afghanistan level series against West Indies
- Movies Vidya Balan’s Tribute To Dina Pathak And Golmaal Goes Viral!
- Technology Delhi Residents Can Now Pay Rs. 299 For Fresh Air As AQI Deteriorates: All You Need To Know
- Automobiles Bajaj Working On A More Powerful Electric Scooter To Be Sold Under KTM Or Husqvarna Branding
- Travel Hajo - The Pride Of Assam
- Finance Anil Ambani And 4 Others Resign As RCom Directors
- Education JEE Main 2020 Sample Question Paper With Solution For Numerical Value Section
To commemorate the Organ Donation Day, Young Indians Bengaluru Chapter, part of the Confederation of Indian Industry (CII), organized an event Bengaluru which witnessed city's top hospitals come together to spread awareness on organ donation and inspire one million Indians to Gift An Organ.
Sankara Eye Hospital, Fortis Hospital, Columbia Asia, Apollo Hospitals, Sakra World Hospital and Manipal Hospitals participated in the event.
Though the first transplant was performed in 1954, we continue to be plagues with myths, which prevents over 5,00,000 Indians who lose their lives due to lack of organ donation& transplant.
A panel discussion with expert transplant surgeons explored why India's organ donation rate in 2016 stood at an abysmal 0.8 persons per million population compared to Spain's 36 per million. Lack of awareness, myths and expertise among doctors to harvest organs were attributed.
Most families are distraught during the event of a death and are unable to think about the concept of Organ Donation. Grief Counsellors in hospitals and an implied consent that would enable organs to be harvested based on the wishes of the departed could help overcome this.
"Gift An Organ, is one of the key projects of Young Indians (Yi) to give the much needed impetus to create awareness on organ donation across the country. While great work is carried out by individual organisations, it is important for us to collaborate and we are overwhelmed with the support we have received today. We hope to inspire a Million Indians to pledge and Gift An Organ", said Dr Kaushik Murali, Chair, Young Indians - CII, Bengaluru & President - Sankara Eye Foundation, India.
International dance star Lourd Vijay, who underwent a kidney transplant, flagged off the 'Spreading Hope Foundation Drive'. "Having received a new lease of life post undergoing the transplant I am embarking on a 45 day drive up to Kashmir & back, to spread word and encourage people to donate organs to save lives",he said.