- 23 min ago Christmas 2022: Cool And Thoughtful Gifts For Teenagers
- 53 min ago How To Make Healthy No Jaggery Modak Sweet Recipe
- 4 hrs ago Exclusive: Influenza Vaccination Week 2022: Expert Explains What It Is About And Which Vaccine To Prefer
- 8 hrs ago Characteristics Of Unhealthy And Healthy Relationships
- News Twitter Files Part-II: Select users put on secret blacklist for being ‘right-wingers’
- Sports Karnataka all set to host National Roller Sports Championship 2022
- Finance Equity Mutual Funds' Inflow Drops 76 Pc, To Rs 2,258 Cr In Nov
- Travel Pro Tips To Save More On A Winter Vacation Nobody Knows
- Automobiles Lamborghini Huracan Sterrato Launched at Rs 4.61 Crore - Lunatic Limited Run Goodbye
- Movies Bigg Boss 16: MC Stan To Walk Out Of Salman Khan’s Show?
- Education JKBOSE Result 2022: JKBOSE 12th Result Announced; Check Details Here
- Technology SpaceX DearMoon Civilian Moon Trip To Ferry These Eight Global Artists
The last leader of the Soviet Union, former President Mikhail Gorbachev, died on August 30 at 91. According to a statement from the Central Clinical Hospital in Moscow, Gorbachev died after a long illness. Gorbachev is survived by a daughter and two granddaughters. His body will be interred in a Moscow cemetery alongside his wife. Let us take a look at the life and times of Mikhail Gorbachev.
Facts About Mikhail Gorbachev
In many ways, the former leader of the Soviet Union deserves most of the credit for ending the Cold War between the Soviet Union and the United States of America.
Mikhail Gorbachev: Early life
- On 2 March 1931, Mikhail Gorbachev was born in the village of Privolnoye, Stavropol Krai, then a constituent republic of the Soviet Union, then a part of the Soviet Union.
- After graduating from Moscow State University, he studied law. He became a candidate member of the Communist Party of the Soviet Union (CPSU).
- According to his university friend Zdenk Mlyná, Gorbachev was a Stalinist in the early 1950s.
- As well as dismantling the hierarchical military society at home, Gorbachev sought to abolish grand-style, expensive imperialism abroad.
Mikhail Gorbachev: Communist Party
- Gorbachev joined the Communist Party as a candidate member in June 1950.
- Upon becoming First Secretary in 1961, he was promoted to First Secretary of the Stavropol City Party Organization in 1966. His main responsibilities were overseeing the irrigation system and increasing agricultural production.
- In the aftermath of Chernenko's death, Gorbachev was unanimously elected as the next General Secretary of the CPSU and the eighth (and final) supreme leader of the Soviet Union.
Mikhail Gorbachev: Ending the Cold War
- During that period, he developed close relationships with prominent leaders of the western bloc, such as Ronald Reagan and Margaret Thatcher.
- In addition to the Intermediate-Range Nuclear Forces Treaty and the Strategic Arms Reduction Treaty, he concluded nuclear arms deals with the United States that brought the two countries closer together to an extent not seen since they defeated Nazi Germany during the Second World War.
- Gorbachev brought the Soviet Union closer to the West than ever since World War II after decades of Cold War tension and confrontation.
Even though he is respected outside of Russia, he remains despised by his citizens. More than 70 per cent of Russians believe their country has suffered due to his tenure as supreme leader. It has been reported that Gorbachev has also been the most unpopular Russian leader of the 21st Century in the past.
- disorders cure6 Common Fatty Liver Myths Busted: Know The Facts Here
- menJawaharlal Nehru Birth Anniversary: 30 Interesting Facts About The First PM Of India
- menRoger Federer Announces Retirement: Facts About The Swiss Tennis Maestro
- menPrince Charles Now King Charles III: Facts About The New King Of The United Kingdom
- womenFacts About Queen Elizabeth II: Britain's Longest-Serving Monarch
- pulseNational Hindi Diwas 2022: Interesting Facts About The Hindi Language
- womenLiz Truss - The UK’s Third Female Prime Minister: Facts About Mary Elizabeth Truss
- menWho Was Rakesh Jhunjhunwala? Facts About 'India's Warren Buffett'
- menSalman Rushdie Hospitalised: 15 Facts About The Author Of 'The Satanic Verses'
- festivalsHanuman Garhi Mandir: Interesting Facts About The Monkey God And The 10th Century Temple
- menPandit Shivkumar Sharma: Facts About The Santoor Maestro And Music Composer
- festivalsSita Navami 2022: Interesting Facts About Goddess Sita