- 1 min ago NTAGI Recommends Vaccination Against Cervical Cancer And Typhoid: Sources
- 14 min ago World Tourism Day 2022: Date, Theme, Benefits, History, And Significance
- 2 hrs ago Rashmika Mandanna Is Grace Personified In A Saree, Check Out Latest Pictures!
- 7 hrs ago Retrograde Saturn Transit In Capricorn On 12 July 2022: Impact On Zodiac Signs And Remedies
- News International news brief: Zelensky says Putin has become 'a terrorist', 51 migrants die
- Education NEET 2022: Exam City Intimation Slip Released By NTA At neet.nta.nic.in, Admit Card To Release Soon
- Technology OnePlus 10R 5G Gets Price Cut Of Rs. 4,000 For Limited Period; Where To Buy?
- Sports Deepak Hooda & Sanju Samson: From U19 cricket to record partnership at Malahide against Ireland
- Finance 2 Latest Dividend Announcements That You Should Take Note Of
- Movies Aditya Roy Kapur Reacts To Sadak 2 Failure, Says It Did Not Deter Him
- Automobiles Ather Energy May Soon Launch The Long-Range Version Of 450X Electric Scooter
- Travel Savandurga Hill In Monsoon - Hiking and Climbing
Calling a man bald in the workplace falls within the purview of sexual harassment, an employment tribunal in England has concluded.
The three-member tribunal, led by Judge Jonathan Brain, had to determine whether a reference to someone's lack of hair was simply an insult or amounted to harassment.
The decision relates to a claim of unfair dismissal and sex discrimination brought by Tony Finn against the West Yorkshire-based British Bung Company, where he worked as an electrician for 24 years before he was fired in May last year.
"In our judgment, there is a connection between the word 'bald' on the one hand and the protected characteristic of sex on the other," the judgment said.
The tribunal accepted that the lawyer appearing on behalf of the company, British Bung Manufacturing Company Limited, was right to submit that women, as well as men, maybe bald.
"However, as all three members of the tribunal will vouchsafe, baldness is much more prevalent in men than women. We find it to be inherently related to sex," the judgment notes.
The case was heard at Sheffield in northern England between February and April this year.
A future date will be set to determine Finn's compensation after his claims of sexual harassment, unfair dismissal and wrongful dismissal were upheld earlier this week.
A related claim of age discrimination was dismissed.
The incident related to Finn's complaint was with reference to an "altercation" in July 2019 when factory supervisor Jamie King reportedly referred to his lack of hair during an argument.
Finn told the tribunal: "I was working on a machine that I had to cover awaiting specialist repair. The covers were taken off, and it was apparent that Jamie King had done this. When I spoke to him about it, he began to call me a stupid old bald cunt and threatened to 'deck me.'
"Fearful for my personal safety I retreated to the nearby office of Ady Hudson, supervisor. Jamie continued his tirade of threats and abuse at the office door. This was witnessed by Ady." The tribunal concluded that King "did threaten the claimant with physical violence" and "made pejorative remarks about the claimant's age or appearance".
With reference to a previous case as precedent, they noted that it was held that a woman had been "sexually discriminated against when a manager made a single comment to her about the size of her breasts".
"The tribunal, therefore, determines that by referring to the claimant as a 'bald cunt' on 24 July 2019 Mr King's conduct was unwanted, it was a violation of the claimant's dignity, it created an intimidating, etc., environment for him, it was done for that purpose, and it related to the claimant's sex," the judgment reads.
- menMen’s Mental Health Month: What Is Borderline Personality Disorder?
- menWho Was Prithviraj Chauhan? Early Life And Facts About The Brave And Noble Warrior
- menKK Dies At 53: Facts About The Renowned Playback Singer-Songwriter
- menHow Shoes Add Character To Dheeraj Dhoopar's Style
- menPandit Shivkumar Sharma: Facts About The Santoor Maestro And Music Composer
- art cultureThe OG Joker: A Look At Oscar Award-Winning Actor Jack Nicholson's Journey
- menMahatma Jyotiba Phule Jayanti 2022: Interesting Facts About The Great Social Activist
- skin careHow To Set Up A Grooming Kit For Men: 9 Basic Things You'll Need
- art cultureOscar Award-Winning Actor William Hurt Passes Away At 71: Tribute
- offer of the dayAmazon Sale 2022: Heavy Discounts On Footwear For Both Men And Women; Offers On Shoes, Sneakers And Heels
- disorders cureExpert Article: What Is Hyperspermia? Causes, Symptoms And Treatment
- wellnessShilajit: Know The Health Benefits And Side Effects Of This Naturally Occurring Substance From Himalayas