- Movies Latest TRP Ratings: Choti Sardarni Jumps To 6th Spot; Yeh Rishtey Hain Pyaar Ke Out Of TRP Race
- News Starting 12 noon, mobile services to be restored in J&K today
- Technology Apple iPhone SE 2 To Launch In Early 2020 With A13 Bionic Chipset
- Sports Estonia 0-3 Germany: Gundogan leads Die Mannschaft after early Can red card
- Automobiles Auto Parts Manufacturers Ask Government To Reduce GST To 18 Percent Amidst Industry Slowdown
- Finance India, China To Set Up New Mechanism For Trade And Investment
- Travel 10 Least Visited Places In India And Why You Should Visit Them
- Education October 2: Exclusive 150th Birth Eve Mahatma Gandhi Quotes And Views On Education 2019
Legends are mostly remembered on their birthdays or on some important days. And on this day, we bring in details about the legend Nelson Mandela as the world remembers him on his 100th birthday.
Here, in this article, we reveal to you some of the unknown facts about Nelson Mandela which people are not aware of.
As the world remembers him on this day, we shall enlighten you about the other side of this legend who does not need any introduction!
Check out the facts about him...
1. His Birth Name Was Different
Mandela's birth name was Rolihlahla which meant pulling the branch of a tree or being a troublemaker. The name "Nelson" was given to him by his teacher on the first day of his school. There is no clarity on why she chose this particular name.
2. He Has Even Acted In A Movie
Nelson Mandela had also acted in a movie! Though it was a cameo role in a Spike Lee film, he did play a role. Apart from this, he also played a big part in Spike Lee's 1992 biopic "Malcolm X."
3. A Woodpecker Is Named After Him
There are many streets that are named after this legend. Be it from Cape Town to California there are numerous streets that are named after him. Apart from this, he has also been the subject of some rather unusual tributes. In the recent times, a group of scientists have named a prehistoric woodpecker after his name. Also in 1973, the physics institute at Leeds University is believed to have named a nuclear particle named 'Mandela particle.'
4. His Wife Was A First Lady
Graca Machel who was married to Mozambique President Samora Machel is said to have married Mandela when he was aged 80 years. Her marriage to Mandela after her first husband's death means that Samora has been the first lady of two nations!
5. He Was Passionate About Boxing
Mandela was very passionate about the bloody sport as it intrigued him. More than playing the game, he was more passionate about learning the moves of self-defense of players in the game.
6. His Favourite Food Is Not All's Favourite!
Mandela loved eating the tripe. Wondering what it is? Well, it is the stomach lining of farm animals.
For more interesting facts about legends and historians, check our section as we bring in the latest updates.