- News NSA Ajit Doval reaches north-east Delhi, to take stock of situation
- Movies Pictures: Niveditha Gowda And Chandan Shetty Dazzle At Their Wedding Reception!
- Sports ISL 2019-20: Chennaiyin FC vs NorthEast United FC: Chennaiyin to face Goa after NorthEast draw
- Finance GOI Savings Taxable Bonds: An Alternative To Fixed Deposits
- Technology Xiaomi Launches Mi Dual Driver In-Ear Earphones For Rs. 799
- Automobiles New 2020 Honda Dio BS6 Launched In Bangalore: Prices Start At Rs 64,584
- Travel 8 Best Summer Beach Destinations In India
- Education Top 20 Universities In Emerging Economies University Rankings 2020
Change the food choices: A change in the food choice will enable you to have a healthy living. Substituting good carbohydrates (sweet potatoes, wheat bread, brown rice) for bad carbohydrates (white potatoes, white bread, white rice) and adding lean proteins, while limiting foods with high fat and sugar contents, will help seniors maintain a healthy weight.
Don't be couch potatoes: The old saying states that “ An idle mind is a devil's workshop." This goes very well in old age. There are a variety of activities seniors can do to keep their minds focused and sharp, including word puzzles, interactive games, joining a book club or participating in other social and volunteer activities.
Adjust your medications: To help keep medications organized and alleviate frustration, seniors should use weekly or monthly pill boxes and have a family member or friend help them fill pill boxes on a regular basis or make a colour coded chart to help keep track of their pills and the times they need to be taken.
Engage in exercise: Keeping physically active is integral to keeping the heart, mind and bones healthy. For some seniors, physical restrictions make exercise a challenge, but there are still small ways to incorporate physical activity into a daily routine, such as parking further away from the store to get in a short walk. And, programs such as yoga, Pilates or Tai Chi can help with balance and weight loss and can be adapted to all levels of physical ability.
Reduce your addictions: Smoking and excessive alcohol intake is proven to have negative health effects on a person at any age, but seniors who smoke and drink regularly increase their chances of more advanced medical problems. The effects of many medications are altered when mixed with alcohol, which can pose serious health risks, especially for seniors taking multiple medications.