- Technology Everything you should know about BSNL's My Offer feature
- Movies Maharshi AP/TS Box Office Collections Day 16: Mahesh Babu’s Movie Remains Stable
- Sports World Cup head-to-head: Australia have beaten Pakistan 5 times, lost 4 games
- Finance No GST On Products Bought At Duty-Free Stores: Allahabad High Court
- News Uttar Pradesh: Punjab Police jawan dies on election duty in Hathras
- Automobiles MG Hector Bookings Unofficially Begin — To Rival The Tata Harrier
- Education HSC Result 2019 Gujarat: Steps To Check HSC Arts And Commerce Stream Result 2019
- Travel The Bustling City Of Muzaffarnagar In Uttar Pradesh
The Dark Rooms, a novel in verse by the Indo-American writer Siddharth Katragadda is an excellent example of the return of imagery that ruled the golden days of Indian English poetry. Set in the rural areas of Karnataka, India, the poem takes the reader to the age of our parents not much unfamiliar to us. If you are born and brought up in India, you will be taken back to your ancient household through the lines of imagination.
The Dark Rooms, metaphorically refers to the life of Gopal who is left alone in the ancient household. Sitting alone in the big mansion, full of dark rooms, Gopal thinks about the golden days in his life. He is a failure in his life as compared to his other brothers and sisters and his wife left him to U.S.A. Now, waiting for his wife"s return, the death of her reaches him, thus completing the darkness in his life.
Siddharth Katragadda has stated that the poem is a sketch of the generation in his own family. It was the generation of his parents and it was his uncle Gopal who inspired him to fly abroad. In that case the life of the protagonist as seen through the eyes of his nephew has more realistic creativity in itself.
Deep thoughts are conversed with rich imagery in this poem. The novel-length story written in the verse form evokes the vivid memories in the reader. The dark rooms and antique pieces as described in the poem resemble the gothic elements that often get employed in the fiction. It is a genuine symphony to be appreciated for all its innovations, and evoked emotions.
This poem in verse is highly suggestible for reading if, you want to travel back to the forgotten childhood and a generation. You can revisit you grandparents, uncles, aunts and umpteen relatives. This poem is not suggestible read at a shot. Read it in short pieces and enjoy the fragrance of the old days as you enjoy your favourite delicacy.