- 2 hrs ago What The--! Thousands Of Penis Fishes Found On California Beach
- 2 hrs ago Scientists Develop Once-a-month Contraceptive Pill, Human Trials To Be Done Soon
- 2 hrs ago A 78-Year-Old Pensioner Gets A Christmas Surprise And The Video Will Move You To Tears
- 3 hrs ago The Navy Officer’s Wife Vidya Raju Rescues 20 Kg Python, Video Goes Viral
- News US house panel approves charges against Donald Trump, sets up impeachment vote
- Sports I League 2019-20: Preview: Quess East Bengal looking to sustain momentum against TRAU ahead of Kolkata Derby
- Movies Taimur Ali Khan Wants Two Birthday Cakes Reveals Mum Kareena Kapoor!
- Technology 4 Ways to Block Someone on Gmail
- Automobiles New 2020 Suzuki Hayabusa Launched In India: Priced At Rs 13.75 Lakh
- Finance Prince Pipes To Launch IPO On Dec 18
- Travel Tips To Have A Local Experience When Travelling Or Moving Overseas
- Education AIIMS BSc Nursing 2020 Registration Process Started
A well written historical fiction is an asset to the literature and the pride of a generation. A historical fiction will reach the wide mass of readers if it is written with pure literary craftsmanship, imagination and authentic research. The Indian English writer Indu Sundaresan's third novel The Splendor Of Silence is a testimonial to this literary category.
The Splendor Of Silence explores the racial prejudices, nationalist spirits and religious fanaticism of the 1942 colonized India through the beautiful thread of a romantic story. It has the details of any other novel based on the Indian freedom movement. But what makes The Splendor Of Silence quite unique is the true Indian nationalist's passion for a foreign soul. The novel tells the impossibility for two souls to merge at a time of Indian freedom struggle and the price they have to pay for their boundary less passion.
U.S. Army Capt. Sam Hawthorne comes to the small kingdom of Rudrakot in the Sukh desert of western India, during the aftermath of World War II. He is on a mission to recover his missing brother Mike, who was serving in a serving in a local regiment-The Rudrakot Rifles.
What awaited Sam at India was a totally unexpected turn in life. He fell in love with Mila, the daughter of the kingdom's Indian political agent, who is betrothed to the local prince. The affair turned out to be brief, passionate and a torrid one. However Mila is torn between loyalty to her family and Sam. She decides to marry Jai leaving behind her true love to the foreigner.
The Splendor Of Silence opens twenty-one years later with Olivia, Sam's daughter, receiving a trunk of treasures from India, along with a letter from an unknown narrator. The letter fills all the silences of Olivia's childhood — telling her the story of her parents' passionate and enduring love for each other. The letter also explains the situation in which they are thrown apart on the background of the explosive circumstances of a country and a society on the brink of independence from British rule.
Splendor of Silence is a lush, poetic and exquisitely crafted novel that should appeal to anyone who loves reading. The myriad subplots and some overwriting detract, but Sundaresan renders Rudrakot vividly and the sympathetic characters generate enough friction to keep the pot boiling. The author, Indu Sundaresan, skillfully weaves romance with historical fiction, making for a satisfying, poignant and highly recommended read.