- 2 hrs ago Daily Horoscope, 03 December 2022: Today's Horoscope Predictions For All Zodiac Signs
- 6 hrs ago 'AmTrue,' A Safe Menstrual Cup For Women, Was Awarded The International Glory Awards 2022
- 9 hrs ago New Treatment For Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Could Provide Lasting Relief Without Surgery
- 9 hrs ago Here Are Some Tips To Help You Achieve Natural-Looking And Fuller Eyebrows
- Sports FIFA World Cup 2022: Cameroon vs Brazil: Brazil stunned by Cameroon, still top Group G after 1-0 loss
- Movies Varisu Second Single ‘Thee Thalapathy’ Official Announcement Is Out: Vijay Is Ready To Set The Stage On Fire!
- News KCR's daughter Kavitha gets CBI summons in Delhi liquor scam
- Finance Buy This Small Cap Gas Distribution Stock For High Returns, Target Price Rs 1,082, Says Geojit
- Travel 7 Insane but True Things About Travel You Never Realized
- Automobiles Maruti Suzuki Sales Report November 2022 - Sales Up By 14.26%
- Technology Redmi 11A Could Soon Replace The Redmi 10A; Spotted On IMDA, TENAA
- Education IIT Placements 2022: 30 students bag packages over Rs 1 cr
Onam is a popular festival observed by people living in Kerala. The festival marks the legend of demon king Mahabali who ruled Kerala. Legends say, King Mahabali was generous and loved his subjects. But due to his growing popularity and him being the demon, the gods appealed to Lord Vishnu to do something.
Lord Vishnu then took the incarnation of Vamana. Since King Mahabali was known for doing charity, Vamana went straight to him and asked for land equal to three feet. Vamana with His cosmic energy measured heaven and earth with his two feet and then turned towards the king and asked, "Where should I keep my third foot?"
King Mahabali upon realising that the Vamana is none other than Lord Vishnu Himself, asked Vamana to put the third feet on His head. Soon King Mahabali was pushed to another world. But before sending Mahabali to another world, Lord Vishnu came into His real form and asked the king to seek for a boon.
King Mahabali asked Lord Vishnu to allow Him to visit His country, once a year. Therefore, it is said that King Mahabali visits Kerala every year during Onam. People observe this festival for 10 days.
This year Onam will begin on 12 August 2021 and will go on till 23 August 2021. You can buy some gifts for your near and dear ones by choosing from some of these ideas.
1. Kerala Mundu
Mundu is a traditional Kerala dress worn both by men and women. While men wear mundu as their bottom wear with white plain shirt, women wear mundu with neriyathu (topwear). Mundu is white in colour with a golden border. You can give this as a gift to your friends, colleagues and loved ones.
2. Nilavilakku (Traditional Oil Lamp)
Nilavilakku is a traditional oil lamp used in most of the households in Kerala. It is usually of one or two layers and is made up of brass material. Nilavilakku is an integral part of religious activities in puja. This Onam, make your loved ones feel loved and special by giving this Nilavilakku.
Sweets are always one of the best gifts on any occasion. You too can consider sweets as a gift option for your loved ones. You can either prepare the sweets at your home or buy from the market. In case, your loved ones are living in any other city, then you can order the sweets from the online websites. You can also choose to buy the traditional sweets of Kerala.
4. Idols Of Lord Vishnu And Goddess Lakshmi
One of the other gift ideas for Onam can be the idols of Lord Vishnu and Goddess Lakshmi. You can choose from various idols available in the market and from the online websites. On Onam, people in Kerala worship and take blessings of Lord Vishnu. This is because Lord Vishnu had sent King Mahabali to another world, after taking the manifestation of Vamana. People generally give Lord Vishnu and Goddess Lakshmi idols to their elders.
5. Indoor Plants
What could be better than giving some beautiful indoor plants to your loved ones on this Onam? You can definitely find some plants to give on this onam. There are varieties of indoor plants to choose from. Some of these plants are cactus, aloevera, spider plant, snake plant and bamboo palm. We are sure that your loved ones will definitely love these plants.
6. Necklace Sets
If you are looking for a beautiful and memorable gift to your mother, sister or any other female, then why not give them necklace sets. You can surely choose from the traditional temple jewelry for them. You can also find some oxidised jewelry as they are in the trend. In addition to this, you can also try Terracotta jewelry featuring Goddess Lakshmi.
Clothes are no doubt a wonderful gift idea for any occasion. In case you don't know, on Onam, people in Kerala usually give clothes to their loved ones. In most of the cases, the elder member of the family buys clothes for the younger members. People generally buy traditional clothes on this day. You too can buy for your loved ones either from the market or from the various e-commerce sites.
8. Home Decor Items
If you want to give something else other than traditional gift items on Onam, then home decor items could be one of the gift ideas. You can choose from various home decor items available online and in the market. You can choose a painting, colourful pots, wall-hangings or a vase.
When it comes to gifts and presents, nothing is as precious and heart-warming as a kind gesture and love. Make this Onam memorable by spending some time with your friends and loved ones. We hope that these gift ideas will help you in choosing a nice gift.
- bollywood wardrobeOnam 2021: Janhvi Kapoor And Malavika Mohanan Stun Us With Their Festive-Wear
- fashion trendsOnam 2021: 4 Stunning Outfits For Onam Festival Other Than Traditional Kasavu Saree
- bollywood wardrobeOnam 2021: Kalyani Priyadarshan Flaunts Onam-perfect Sarees And We Are So Saree-inspired
- bollywood wardrobeOnam Special: Deepika Padukone’s Kasavu Saree Look In Chennai Express Is What You Should Try On Onam
- lifeHappy Onam 2021: Quotes, Messages And Wishes To Share With Your Loved Ones
- fashion trendsOnam: Unique Traditional Outfit Ideas Other Than Sarees
- festivalsOnam 2021: Date, Day Wise Significance And How It Is Celebrated
- festivalsHappy Onam 2021: Wishes, WhatsApp And Facebook Messages To Send Your Friends, Family
- decorOnam 2021: Brighten Up This Auspicious Day With Rangoli Or Pookalam Designs
- indian sweetsOnam 2021: Unniyapam Recipe
- maincourseOnam 2021: Try These Best Vegetarian Main course Recipes
- anecdotesOnam 2021: Legendary Stories Associated With This Festival