- 4 hrs ago Breastfeeding Twins: Expert Tips, Finding The Right Feeding Position And More
- 4 hrs ago Kiara Advani, Vidya Balan, And Nora Fatehi Flaunt Sarees; Whose Saree Did You Find The Prettiest?
- 5 hrs ago Designer Louis Vuitton Birthday Special: Revolution Of Style
- 8 hrs ago Amazon Great Freedom Festival Sale 2021: Best Footwear To Buy For Men And Women; Amazing Offers On Them!
- Movies Bigg Boss OTT: Anusha Dandekar Confirms She Is Not Participating; Will Shamita Shetty Join The Show Instead?
- Education HOS 12th Result 2021: HBSE Haryana Open School 12th Result 2021 Released
- Sports Tokyo 2020: PM Modi speaks to Manpreet, coach Reid after Olympic bronze; lauds team's hard work
- Finance 5 High Rated & Top Performing Small-Cap Funds To Plan SIP In 2021
- Technology Xiaomi Independence Day Sale: Discounts And Offers You Can Get
- News Karnataka CM Basavaraj Bommai to allocate portfolios to Ministers on August 6
- Automobiles Maruti Suzuki WagonR Xtra Edition Launched In India — Priced At Rs 23,000 More Than VXi Variant
- Travel Best Places To Visit In South India In September
Every year the third Sunday in the month of June is observed as Father's Day. The day highlights the role played by fathers in a child's life. This year the date falls on 20 June 2021. Though the contributions and sacrifices made by fathers cannot be summed up in one day, the celebration is meant for expressing our gratitude to our fathers. Today we are here to tell you more about this day. Scroll down to read on.
It was in July 1958, when a mining mishap in the West Virginia, United States resulted in the death of hundreds of men. Out of the all men that died in that incident, a reverend too died. Grace Golden, the daughter of the dead reverend proposed observing a Sunday service for all those who lost their lives in that fatal accident.
A few later, a woman named Sonora Smart Dodd suggested observing Father's Day in the loving memory of her father William Jackson, a civil war veteran. He had raised Dodd and her five siblings as a single parent while going through a tough time. After completing her education, she started promoting Father's Day at a national level.
But Father's Day grew popular in 1972 after US President Richard Nixon signed a declaration. Since then Father's Day is observed on the third Sunday of June every year.
- Not every country observe Father's Day on the third Sunday of June.
- It is observed on different dates in different countries.
- In fact, in India, the day wasn't popular until it gained popularity a few years ago.
- On this day, people celebrate fatherhood and parental love.
- People observe this day by sending gifts to their fathers and doing things to thank him for giving selfless love.
- Children try to spend as much time as they can with their fathers.