- 7 hrs ago What Is The Importance Of Premarital Health Checkups?
- 12 hrs ago From Alia Bhatt To Kareena Kapoor Khan, These Divas Will Give Your Major Shopping Inspiration
- 16 hrs ago Weekly Horoscope: 15 December To 21 December
- 18 hrs ago 10 Situations Under Which A Man Should Practice Sexual Abstinence
- Movies Bigg Boss Kannada Season 7 Super Sunday With Sudeepa – Raju Talikote Gets Eliminated
- Sports India vs West Indies, 1st ODI, Highlights: Hetmyer and Hope fire West Indies to victory
- News Tension prevails in AMU against CAA after Jamia Millia Islamia, cops use batons, teargas
- Technology How To Check Screen Time On Various Devices
- Automobiles Volvo XC40 T4 R-Design Petrol Launched In India At Rs 39.90 Lakh, Ex-Showroom
- Finance RBI To Offer Liquidity Support Scheme For 24X7 Functionality Of Neft
- Travel How Christmas Is Celebrated In Different Parts Of India
- Education AIIMS BSc Nursing 2020 Registration Process Started
Susan Butler, the editor of the Macquarie Dictionary, says that the words were selected as per recent elections in America. “There were two big things that happened in 2008. One you can't use because it's a proper noun, and that's Obama. The second was subprime," The Sydney Morning Herald quoted Butler as saying.
The British influenced fanta pants refers to 'pubic hair as the indicator of hair colour' is actually the famous orange colored soft drink. Words like 'ecocentrism', referring to the philosophy in which the 'ecosphere' is more important than an organism or human activity, made it to the list, making the environment influenced words a trend.
Similarly 'plastic soup', referring to a mass of plastic on an ocean gyre and climate porn, referring to alarmist predictions about the progress of global warming are the other climate inspired words.
According to Les Murray, who is a poet and Macquarie committee member, picked up some words like ifestreaming (the online recording of one's daily life), that sound better than what they mean.
He also said that there are words like Uberveillance (omnipresent electronic surveillance through devices embedded in the body), that are futuristic. His personal favourite for beauty was water footprint (the amount of fresh water used by a country, business or individual).The readers can vote for their favourite word online and the most popular word will be announced on February. The most favourite word for the year 2007 was ' password fatigue' which means unable to remember the various number of passwords by a user. AGENCIES