There are five types of cooking knives:
- Chef's Knife – This knife is the largest knife used in the kitchen. The blade will be longer than the others. The knives look very prominent due to the length and are very balanced as well as stable. The blade would be at least 8" to 10" long.
- Utility Knife - These knives are smaller than the chef knives and are generally 5-8" long. They are popularly called sandwich knives as they are used to slice vegetables, meat and cheese. The utility knives will be many in number which is why they are called 'extra knives'.
- Paring Knife - These knives are the most used knives and are “2-4" in length. Paring knives are used to cut and slice small vegetables. Peel, coring fruits and other tasks can be also be done using paring knives.
- Boning Knife - The sharp knife has a flexible blade that is used to cut meat and bone. They are usually is 4-5" long.
- Bread Knife - Bread knives as the title hints is used ti slice bread from a loaf. The knives have serrations and are sharp. The chefs generally prefer bread knives as they have a better grip. While slicing the knife is generally used to cut in the sawing motion.
While choosing kitchen knives, going for stainless steel or ceramic knives is best as they are rust proof, sharp and easy to maintain. Check for the quality plastic holder of the knife. Always cut vegetables on a cutting board. Choose cutting boards that are made of plastic, ceramic or wood are the best options.
Always wash knives in warm soap solution. While slicing cheese and mucilaginous vegetables, it is ideal to clean the cooking shears immediately with paper towels before washing them in water.