- 31 min ago An Unknown Black Hole That Points Directly At The Earth Discovered
- 6 hrs ago Daily Horoscope, 02 December 2022: Today's Horoscope Predictions For All Zodiac Signs
- 11 hrs ago How To Combat The Loneliness And Overcome It
- 12 hrs ago Kareena Kapoor Khan’s Key Ingredient For DIY Facials: 3 Ways You Can Use It!
- News Sri Lankan univ refuses to sign MoU with Chinese univ, says Beijing has other plans
- Sports India Women vs Australia Women T20I Series: Full Schedule, Squad, Venue, Live Streaming Info
- Automobiles Hyundai Sales Report November 2022 - Sales Up By 36.4%
- Movies Shah Rukh Khan Fans Say ‘MashAllah' As The Actor Performs Umrah In Mecca, See Viral Pics
- Finance This Midcap Tyres Stock Grew 122.24% In 3 Years, Buy For Robust Gains, Target Price 2,370
- Education ISC Datesheet 2023 Released: Get Class 12 Time Table Here
- Travel Without These Checklist Your Winter Packing Is Incomplete, Have A Look
- Technology Moto X40 Pro High-Quality Renders, Video Leaked: Can It Challenge Other Flagship Devices?
World Sight Day is observed on 10 October and the 2019 theme is 'Vision First'. It aims to focus on vision impairment and blindness and to increase attention towards eye care globally. More than a billion people cannot see properly, because they have no access to eyeglasses.
The International Agency for the Prevention of Blindness (IAPB) observes World Sight Day under the VISION 2020 Global Initiative. IAPB creates a theme for each year's World Sight Day, while members and supporters of organizations manage individual events.
The VISION 2020 Global Initiative is a combination of international, non-governmental and private organizations that collaborate with the WHO. The main aim of VISION 2020 is to eradicate blindness fully by 2020.
According to the IAPB, 36 million people are blind and the other 217 million people have moderate to severe vision impairment (MSVI).
History Of World Sight Day
The World Sight Day was established as a part of the SightFirst Campaign held by the Lions Club International Foundation (LCIF) in 2000. The LCIF is a global leader that lends its support to help prevent avoidable blindness and restore sight for people from all around the world.
It hosts a number of programs that help support the development and improvement of eye care, provide resources for sight-restoring surgeries and treatments, and distribute medicines to people who are at a risk for eye diseases.
Themes For World Sight Day
There was no particular theme for the World Sight Day from 2000 to 2004. The themes for the succeeding years are as follows.
- 2005 - The Right to Sight
- 2006 - Low Vision
- 2007 - Vision for Children
- 2008 - Fighting Vision Impairment in Later Life
- 2009 - Gender and Eye Health
- 2010 - Countdown to 2020
- 2011 - No theme
- 2012 - No theme
- 2013 - Universal Eye Health
- 2014 - No More Avoidable Blindness
- 2015 - Eye Care For All
- 2016 - Stronger Together
- 2017 - Make Vision Count
- 2018 - Eye Care Everywhere
- decorBigg Boss 16 ‘Circus Theme’ House Reflects Bold Colours, Effervescent Patterns, And Eclectic Vibe
- fashionMet Gala 2023 Theme - Karl Lagerfeld; Fashion Charity Event Will Honour Legendary Designer
- pulseWorld First Aid Day 2022: Date, History, Significance And Theme
- wellnessNational Nutrition Week 2022: History, Theme, Significance
- pulseInternational Youth Day 2022: Theme, History And Significance
- wellnessWorld Health Day 2022: Date, Theme, History And Significance Of The Day
- menInternational Men’s Day 2022: History, Theme And Significance Of This Day
- wellnessWorld Spine Day 2019: Date, Theme And History
- wellnessWorld Heart Day 2022: Theme, History And Significance
- healthWorld Rabies Day 2019: Date, History, Theme And Significance
- wellnessWorld Sight Day 2022: Early Detection And Management Is Key To Prevent Glaucoma Related Blindness
- diabetesWhat Is Diabetic Retinopathy? Stages, Symptoms, Risk Factors, Treatments And Prevention