- 1 hr ago Daily Horoscope, 15 August 2022: Today's Horoscope Predictions For All Zodiac Signs
- 2 hrs ago Don’t Break Your Fitness Regimen This Independence Day: Try This Healthy Tricolour Sandwich
- 13 hrs ago Who Was Rakesh Jhunjhunwala? Facts About 'India's Warren Buffett'
- 17 hrs ago What Causes Children To Become Narcissists: 4 Types Of Narcissism In Children, And The Influence Of Parents
- Technology Last Week Most Trending Smartphones: Galaxy Z Fold 4, Xiaomi Mix Fold 2, Redmi Note 11, Z Flip 4, And More
- Sports Maharaja Trophy: Abhinav Manohar’s heroics leads Mangalore United to thrilling win against Gulbarga Mystics
- News No "hello", instead use 'Vande Mataram' when answering calls: Maha minister to govt officials
- Movies Khatron Ke Khiladi 12 August 14 Highlights: Kanika Mann Emerges As The Winner Of The K-Medal Race
- Finance Rakesh Jhunjhunwala Passes Away At 62: 5 Facts About The Ace Investor
- Travel Wettest Places in The World: List of Rainiest Places on Earth
- Education Top 10 ideas to celebrate the Independence Day 2022
- Automobiles Honda CB300F First Ride Review - Aggressive Fighter Neutered By Head Scratching Price Tag
St John's wort, also known as Johnswort, goat weed, touch-and-heal, is a yellow star-shaped five petals flower mainly used for curing depression, sleep disorders and healing wounds. The botanical name of the plant is Hypericum perforatum. As the flower blossoms around the St. John's Day which falls on 24 June, it is known as St. John's wort.
The flower of the plant has been used to make tea, liquid extract, and pills since centuries. Several studies show that St. John's wort is used to treat severe depression  as its effect is similar to many prescribed antidepressants.
Another study also found that it is effective in treating wounds, pain, menopause symptoms and sores.
If we look at its downside, the extract of this flower is banned in certain countries due to its serious interaction with certain medicines.
Health Benefits Of St. John's Wort
Treats depression: St. John's wort contains an active substance called 'hypericin'  which is effective in treating mild to moderate depression. Consuming it by mouth helps decrease nervousness, anxiety, and tiredness  .
Treats symptoms of PMS: St. John's wort consumption helps in reducing symptoms of menopause like mood changes, hot flashes, food cravings, insomnia, headaches, confusion and others  .
Heals wounds: The oil or ointment extracted from the flower is effective in healing wounds and reducing scars  . It is very useful in reducing C-section scars.
Apart from the aforementioned, St. John's wort is also effective in treating other conditions like the following, but there's no sufficient proof related to it. 
- Attention deficit-hyperactivity disorder
- Brain tumour
- Skin irritation
- Clear blocked arteries
- Tooth pulling
- Muscle pain
- Stomach upset
Side Effects Of St. John's Wort
- St. John's wort causes many side effects like dizziness, headache, and skin irritation if it interacts with certain drugs. Thus, it is important to consult a doctor before using it.
- Avoid sun after its consumption by mouth as it may result in severe skin reactions.
- Pregnant women should avoid its intake as it may result in some birth defects.
- St. John's wort can interact with certain medicines which are used during surgery. Avoid its intake 5 days or a week before your heart surgery as it may cause complications later.
- Avoid its consumption if you are planning to have a baby as it may cause trouble while conceiving  .
Medications That Interact With St. John's Wort
- Aminolevulinic acid (for skin)
- Birth control pills
- Digoxin (for heart)
- Irinotecan (for cancer)
- Medications for depression like sertraline, fluoxetine, and imipramine
- Medications for HIV like delavirdine and nevirapine
- Medications for pain like morphine and meperidine 
- St. John's Wort Tea Recipe
St. John's Wort Tea Recipe
- 2 tbsp of dried leaves and flowers of St. John's wort
- Allow the water to boil and add 2 tbsp of herb per cup.
- Let it boil for 5-10 minutes.
- Strain the mixture in a cup.
- Add sugar or honey to taste.
- Serve it hot.
-  Linde, K., Berner, M. M., & Kriston, L. (2008). St John's wort for major depression. Cochrane database of Systematic reviews, (4).
-  Linde, K. (2009). St. John’s wort–an overview. Complementary Medicine Research, 16(3), 146-155.
-  Wölfle, U., Seelinger, G., & Schempp, C. M. (2014). Topical application of St. Johnʼs wort (Hypericum perforatum). Planta medica, 80(02/03), 109-120.
-  Grube, B., Walper, A., & Wheatley, D. (1999). St. John's Wort extract: efficacy for menopausal symptoms of psychological origin. Advances in therapy, 16(4), 177-186.
-  Klemow, K. M., Bartlow, A., Crawford, J., Kocher, N., Shah, J., & Ritsick, M. (2011). 11 Medical Attributes of St. John’s Wort (Hypericum perforatum). Lester Packer, Ph. D., 211.
-  Knuppel, L., & Linde, K. (2004). Adverse effects of St. John's Wort: a systematic review. Journal of Clinical Psychiatry, 65(11), 1470-1479.
-  Chrubasik‐Hausmann, S., Vlachojannis, J., & McLachlan, A. J. (2019). Understanding drug interactions with St John's wort (Hypericum perforatum L.): impact of hyperforin content. Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmacology, 71(1), 129-138.
-  Apaydin, E. A., Maher, A. R., Shanman, R., Booth, M. S., Miles, J. N., Sorbero, M. E., & Hempel, S. (2016). A systematic review of St. John's wort for major depressive disorder. Systematic reviews, 5(1), 148. doi:10.1186/s13643-016-0325-2
- nutritionHealth Benefits Of Garlic: From Common Cold To Cancer Treatment
- nutritionBenefits Of Potatoes And The Healthiest Way To Cook Them
- nutritionWorld Idli Day: 6 Health Benefits Of The Fluffy, Fermented South Indian Food
- nutrition11 Health Benefits Of Drinking Cabbage Water
- wellness10 Health Benefits Of Beginning Your Day With A Walk
- nutritionValentine's Day Special: Surprising Health Benefits Of Rose Flower
- nutritionEat These 19 Foods Raw For Maximum Health Benefits
- wellnessHealth And Beauty Benefits Of Gold You May Not Know!
- wellnessWhat Happens To Your Body When You're Not Eating Enough Vegetables?
- nutritionWhat Is Kokum (Malabar Tamarind/Kudampuli): Its Benefits, Uses And Side Effects
- nutritionSix Types Of Vinegar And Their Health Benefits
- wellnessFrom Treating COVID-19 Symptoms To Managing Diabetes, The Amazing Health Benefits Of Sumac