- 55 min ago What Is The Viral Social Media Claim Regarding 'Aphelion Phenomenon'? Can Aphelion Really Affect Your Health?
- 59 min ago Sealed With A Kiss: Mexican Mayor Marries Alligator Bride To 'Bring Abundance To The Village'
- 1 hr ago London's Victoria and Albert Museum Has Africa Fashion In The Spotlight
- 3 hrs ago Ashadha Gupt Navratri 2022: Goddess Skandamata Puja: Date, Rituals, Mantras And Significance
- News NCW seeks action against SP chief Akhilesh Yadav for tweet against Nupur Sharma
- Sports Virat Kohli vs Jonny Bairstow: We are going to have dinner together, England batter diffuse tension
- Movies Anees Bazmee On Working With Shahid Kapoor: We Are Waiting For The Right Story
- Finance ONGC, Oil India Fall Nearly 35% From Their Highs, Should You Buy? Experts Opinion
- Technology Apple Watch Series 8 Tipped With Fever-Detection Sensor, S8 Chip; New Features To Expect
- Automobiles Renault Kiger Crosses 50,000 Production Milestone - New Colour Option Introduced
- Travel Yosemite National Park: A Splendid Wilderness With Magical Sunset And Moonlight
- Education SSC MTS 2021-22 Exam Start Tomorrow: Check Timings, Documents to Carry, Paper Pattern & More
According to the Indian SARS-CoV-2 Genomics Consortium (INSACOG), two Omicron's subvariants of the coronavirus have been detected in the country - the first in Tamil Nadu and the second in Telangana.
Omicron Subvariants BA.4 And BA.5 In India
Last week, a report published by the European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control (ECDC) designated the Omicron BA.4 and BA.5 subvariants as variants of concern (VOC). It warned that they might fuel an increase in infections with a growth advantage of 12 to 13 per cent compared with the BA.2 subvariant .
- The first case of the BA.4 subvariant of Omicron coronavirus in India has been detected through a genomic surveillance program in Hyderabad.
- A 19-year-old girl from Tamil Nadu was infected with the BA.4 variant of SARS-CoV-2. The patient has only mild clinical symptoms and was fully vaccinated. The patient did not have a travel history.
- Furthermore, INSACOG reported that an 80-year-old male from Telangana had tested positive for the BA. sub-variant of Omicron. The patient has shown only mild clinical symptoms and has been fully vaccinated. The patient had no travel history.
- The first cases of the BA.4 sub-variant were reported in South Africa on 10 January 2022 and represent 35 per cent of all positive tests. The BA.5 virus was identified on 25 February and accounted for about 20 per cent of cases across several South African regions .
- In addition to South Africa, BA.4 and BA.5 have been identified in several other countries. In a report from the U.K. Health Security Agency (UKHSA), with data as of 22 April, BA.4 was found in Austria, the U.K., the U.S., Denmark, Belgium, Israel, Germany, Italy, Canada, France, the Netherlands, Australia, Switzerland, and Botswana .
- Health officials identified BA.5 on the same date in Portugal, Germany, the U.K., the U.S., Denmark, France, Austria, Belgium, Hong Kong, Australia, Canada, Israel, Norway, Pakistan, Spain, and Switzerland.
On A Final Note...
As a precautionary measure, the INSACOG conducts contact tracing for the BA.4 and BA.5 patients. BA.4 and BA.5 are two subvariants of the Omicron virus. Earlier this year, these were first reported from South Africa. They are now being reported from several other countries as well. INSACOG states that these subvariants are not associated with disease severity or increased hospitalization.
- wellnessWhat Is The Viral Social Media Claim Regarding 'Aphelion Phenomenon'? Can Aphelion Really Affect Your Health?
- wellnessNiti Aayog Releases Compendium Of Ayush Practices To Manage Covid-19
- wellnessCorbevax Will Be Allowed As A Booster For Those Fully Vaccinated With Covishield Or Covaxin
- wellness'Heal In India': An Indian Govt Initiative To Attract More Foreign Patients
- wellnessCovid Patients At Higher Risk Of Serious Neurodegenerative Disorders: Study
- wellnessMaharashtra: Thane Records 978 New Covid-19 Cases; Active Tally At 5,634
- wellnessIndia Emerged Successfully In The Management Of Covid-19 Pandemic: Mansukh Mandaviya
- wellnessIndia Records 15,940 Covid-19 Infections, 20 Fatalities In A Day
- kidsLong COVID In Children Can Last At Least Two Months: Study
- wellnessGenome Sequencing Tests Show Omicron Dominating In Karnataka: Health Minister
- wellnessHow Does COVID Spread During Short Conversations?
- wellnessSurge In Covid Cases: States Asked To Submit 'Larger Number' Of Samples For Genome Sequencing