- 2 hrs ago Daily Horoscope: 15 October 2019
- 10 hrs ago Health And Wellness Tips For College Students
- 11 hrs ago This Wedding Season, Make Your Cocktail Evening Special With These Brand New Outfit Ideas
- 13 hrs ago Karwa Chauth 2019: 5 Alluring Make-up Looks From The Bollywood Divas For This Karwa Chauth
- News MPSC Group C Services Main Exam Admit Card 2019 released, website to check
- Technology Last Week Top Most Trending Smartphones: Realme X2 Pro, Oppo K5, Apple iPhone 11 Pro Max And More
- Movies Bigg Boss Kannada 7 Updates Day 1: Bhoomi Shetty Becomes The First Captain Of This Season!
- Sports Pro Kabaddi League 2019, Eliminator 2: Raiders power U Mumba past Haryana Steelers
- Automobiles Ratan Tata Invests In Electric Two Wheeler Start Up Tork Motors
- Education Who Is Abhijit Banerjee? 10 Facts About Indian-origin Economist Who Has Won Nobel Prize
- Finance CPI: Retail Inflation Rises To 3.99% In September
- Travel Top 10 Indian Cities For Food Lovers
Lysine is one of the essential amino acids that play an integral role in supporting the immune system. The body uses lysine to create collagen, the main structural protein in the skin.
As the human body cannot produce lysine, it is crucial to obtain this amino acid through the diet. Consumption of lysine-rich foods helps reduce the symptoms of anxiety, lower blood pressure, fight herpes virus and diabetes.
Health Benefits Of Lysine
1. Treats diabetes
A study published in The Journal of Nutrition showed that lysine can help treat diabetes by decreasing blood glucose levels after eating  . However, further research has to be done on the topic.
2. Reduces anxiety
Lysine can lower anxiety by blocking receptors involved in stress response  . Another study conducted on 50 healthy people showed that, 2.64 g of lysine supplements and arginine reduced stress-induced anxiety caused by the stress hormone cortisol  .
3. Lowers blood pressure
In a study conducted in 50 adults with lysine deficiency and high blood pressure, it was seen that lysine supplements lowered blood pressure significantly  .
4. Treats cold sores
Cold sores are fluid-filled blisters that cause pain and burning sensation. They are caused by the herpes simplex virus type 1 (HSV-1). Lysine supplements prevent herpes simplex virus from increasing and lowers the duration of cold sores  .
5. Promotes wound healing
Lysine can help in faster wound recovery  . This amino acid aids in the formation of collagen, a protein that helps support and gives structure to skin and bones and also increases the number of new cells in a wound, thus speeding up the wound repairing process.
6. Improves calcium absorption
Lysine helps the body absorb calcium in your gut and allows the kidneys to hold on to the mineral  . Lysine also can prevent bone loss and plays an important role in transporting calcium to various parts of the body.
Other benefits of lysine
- Treats shingles
- Prevents the loss of lean muscle mass and mobility issues in older adults
- Reduces the growth of cancer cells
- Promotes eye health
- Enhances healthy growth of skin
- Supports hair growth
- Prevents plaque build-up in arteries
- Builds muscles
Foods Rich In Lysine
|Food sources (100 g)||Amount of lysine (mg)|
|Cottage cheese||934 mg|
|Atlantic salmon||1870 mg|
|Goat milk||290 mg|
|Kidney beans||1618 mg|
Side Effects And Risks Of Lysine Consumption
A daily dose of 3 g of lysine is considered safe and increasing the dosage to 10 to 15 g a day might result in diarrhoea, stomach cramps and nausea.
Children and women who are pregnant or breastfeeding should avoid lysine supplements. People with kidney and liver problems should also avoid lysine supplements.
-  Ullrich, S. S., Fitzgerald, P. C., Nkamba, I., Steinert, R. E., Horowitz, M., & Feinle-Bisset, C. (2017). Intragastric lysine lowers the circulating glucose and insulin responses to a mixed-nutrient drink without slowing gastric emptying in healthy adults.The Journal of nutrition,147(7), 1275-1281.
-  Smriga, M., & Torii, K. (2003). L-Lysine acts like a partial serotonin receptor 4 antagonist and inhibits serotonin-mediated intestinal pathologies and anxiety in rats.Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America,100(26), 15370–15375.
-  Smriga, M., Ando, T., Akutsu, M., Furukawa, Y., Miwa, K., & Morinaga, Y. (2007). Oral treatment with L-lysine and L-arginine reduces anxiety and basal cortisol levels in healthy humans.Biomedical Research,28(2), 85-90.
-  Vuvor, F., Mohammed, H., Ndanu, T., & Harrison, O. (2017). Effect of lysine supplementation on hypertensive men and women in selected peri-urban community in Ghana.BMC Nutrition,3(1), 67.
-  Singh, B. B., Udani, J., Vinjamury, S. P., Der-Martirosian, C., Gandhi, S., Khorsan, R., ... & Singh, V. (2005). Safety and effectiveness of an L-lysine, zinc, and herbal-based product on the treatment of facial and circumoral herpes.Altern Med Rev,10(2), 123-7.
-  Spallotta, F., Cencioni, C., Straino, S., Sbardella, G., Castellano, S., Capogrossi, M. C., … Gaetano, C. (2013). Enhancement of lysine acetylation accelerates wound repair.Communicative & integrative biology,6(5), e25466.
-  Civitelli, R., Villareal, D. T., Agnusdei, D., Nardi, P., Avioli, L. V., & Gennari, C. (1992). Dietary L-lysine and calcium metabolism in humans.Nutrition (Burbank, Los Angeles County, Calif.),8(6), 400-405.